Engines, Transmissions, and a Fuel Filler
9/15/00 Engines, Transmissions, and a Fuel Filler
François continues to make good progress on my engine this week. If you can make out the various details from the picture, he’s installed the water pump, oil filter assembly, carburetors, starter and the two distributor housings. When I see how many little pieces bolt onto this engine, I can understand why it takes so many hours to assemble a Ferrari motor!
François is waiting for a couple of tappets to finish the valve train. Most of them were fine, and didn’t show any excess wear, but a few showed minor pitting. Once these are replaced, we’ll be ready to install the engine! François will borrow a “cherry picker” (François has a hoist attached to an I-beam in his shop) to install the motor at my shop. At this rate, it will probably happen in a couple of weeks! I sometimes have to pinch myself to make sure I’m not dreaming! I OWN A FERRARI V-12 ENGINE!
I feel like I’m making room for the arrival of a newborn! I’ve been getting the transmission cleaned up so that can go in after the engine is installed. It will be painted silver as soon as I scrub off all the old paint. Taking a peek inside the gear case, things look pretty clean. Ferrari Transmissions are known to be pretty strong provided they’re not abused. Considering this car was basically a family car I’m hoping a quietly reserved father drove it! Eventually when all the mechanicals are installed, I would imagine we’ll take the car for a test drive before the interior is installed. The reason for this is the transmission comes out from the passenger compartment, so I’m hoping it doesn’t have to come out AFTER the interior is installed!
I spent the better part of my afternoon wrestling with my fuel filler hose. I’ve never installed one on any car that didn’t make me struggle, sweat, and swear! I made sure I lubed the rubber hose well before attempting to get it on the gas tank. After some scraped knuckles, I realized it would be easier if I moved the gas tank. Looking at the way the parts fit together, it may have even been impossible if I didn’t unbolt the gas tank, so I reluctantly pulled out more tools. After some more grunting, I managed to get all the parts to line up, and squeeze into place. To anybody else looking at this image, it hardly shows the amount of toil I suffered to get it to look this way, but I know I’ll never forget it!