Ferrari 512BBi, Gauges, and a 275GTB
512BBi, Gauges, and a 275GTB
Work continued on the Boxer major service. The water pump was reassembled, the new belts installed, tensioners installed and tensioned, and the cam covers were put back on. Special care was taken to make sure all the timing marks were lined up after the toothed belts were installed. The cams turned very easily so getting the teeth to line up without moving anything off its marks was very important. Making sure everything was tensioned correctly was also checked and double checked. I then checked the valve lash and all but one needed an adjustment.
Some of the fasteners that would be in plain view were sent out for replating so we set this project aside for the nuts to return to the shop and moved on to another car.
The gauges to the 250 California Spyder came back from D&M Restorations, our gauge rebuilder. Mike silk-screened new gauge faces while we sent the bezels out for new chrome. With all the pieces collected at the shop, it was time to put it all back together.
One of the tricks I learned from François when I did my gauges years ago, was not to bend the tabs that hold the gauge bezels to the gauge body. After a couple of bends, these tabs will inevitably break off without an easy way to repair the damage. Instead, take a strong small screwdriver, and pry the frame away from the gauge to get the tab past the lip of the gauge body. Do this carefully one at a time without putting the screwdriver through your hand and once you get half of them clear, the bezel will slide off the gauge. Be ready to catch the glass that is held in by the bezel!
Having done this with my gauges before, I was a lot more comfortable doing this job than the first time, but I guess that is why experience is invaluable in restoring these irreplaceable items!
This week I had the opportunity to work on Ferraris spanning over 20 years of its history from a Cal Spyder to a 512BBi. To fill in the span was a very nice 275GTB with reworked nose. I understand that this car was modified by a previous owner, and although not correct, a very tasteful mod.
This car was in for an oil change and a radiator refurbishing, but while it was in the shop François and I fixed some of the other little details to make an already beautiful car perfect.
Just a reminder, I’m looking for a new Vintage Ferrari Project. If you have, or know of a restoration project, please let me know. It would be great to restore another car on this website! My E-mail.
Previous Restoration Day
Next Restoration Day