Distibutors and More PF Coupe
Distributors and More PF Coupe
I Stopped by Bill Pollard’s shop Sport Auto in Gaylordsville CT the other day for a favor. A 330 Owner sent me his distributors in the mail to check them out on a distributor machine, but François’ Marelli adapter was out on loan, so Bill offered up the use of his machine so I could get these distributors back in quick order.
The first order of business was to check to see if the two distributors were advancing correctly. If the Sun Machine showed a problem, we would have to disassemble the distributor to check the centrifugal weights before doing anything. Luckily, the distributors were working properly so no further disassembly was needed. This was not a full strip down restoration job, but a check to make sure everything was working properly.
Only one set of points needed replacing due to a broken spring, but the rest of them needed to be cleaned and adjusted. Since the owner of these distributors was installing a MSD ignition system, the points would not see as much current as a stock set up. The points still needed a good contact and correct phasing to each other. With a little time, checking, and re-checking, I soon had these distributors clicking away like a well oiled watch.
I brought some work home this week and began working on 1747’s steering wheel. I didn’t want to obliterate all the signs of this steering wheel’s past, but leaving the exposed sections of this wooden steering without varnish will only stain the wood further. After buffing out the aluminum spokes, I began the process of stripping the old varnish off.
I also began working on the interior a little bit at the shop.
Under the blue carpet I found remnants of what I believe was the original carpet color. The light gray might be a nice contrast to the blue leather interior, but probably impossible to keep clean!
We wanted to moisturize the leather seats to try and save them, and I felt is was much easier to take the seats out so I didn’t miss any spots.
They didn’t look too bad for 50 year old leather, but if the leather dries out any more, the surface cracks in the leather could split all the way through. Once this happens, it will be near impossible to save.
I’ve heard a lot of good things about Leatherique’s line of leather rejuvenators, and have used it in limited applications, but this would be the ultimate test to see how this stuff works.
After liberally coating seats with the conditioning oil, I set the seats back into the car, wrapping them in plastic according to the instructions. I found dry cleaning plastic worked great covering the seats.
When I took apart the interior, I found an interesting way to anchor the seat belts. These lap belts were bolted to a leather covered trim piece! This piece was only held to the car with four sheet metal screws, and would have not have held anyone in place if there was a crash. I’m just happy no one found this out after the fact.
Whoever installed these belts did reinforce the back of these belts, but I doubt the aluminum tunnel cover would have been too strong. We’ll have to find something a little stronger when we put new belts in.
I’ve been collecting pictures of the Pininfarina numbers, and this is the third “890” I’ve found on this car. The complete Pininfarina internal body number was “27890,” and the “890” was the short-hand.
Just a reminder, I’m looking for a new Vintage Ferrari Project. If you have, or know of a restoration project, please let me know. It would be great to restore another car on this website! My E-mail.
Previous Restoration Day
Next Restoration Day