1747: Brake Bleeding, 5053: Small Coolant Leak


We’re coming down to the final stretch to delivering the PF Coupe to its owner. As I said last week, the booster and calipers were back and ready to be installed. Once everything was hooked up, I filled the system to check for brake fluid leaks.

The Banjo fittings on the booster were really a pain in the butt. Although rebuilt, the mating surfaces sometimes do not seal up as well as when they were brand new. Even with new copper washers I couldn’t seem to get the darned thing to seal in the brake fluid. Worse yet, I couldn’t see if the fitting was leaking until the system was filled with brake fluid and pressurized. Taking a closer look at the booster, I found the washer had to seat on just the right position to seal the banjo fitting. After a third set of copper washers, the booster sealed, and I proceeded to bleed the brakes.
New Wheels

With the brakes nearly completed, we’ll be able to mount the new tires and wheels to the car. These are brand new Borranis, fresh from Italy with Blockley tires from England. It’ll be interesting to feel how these tires perform on the PF Coupe when she’s finally back on the road.
Two Ferraris

My 330 America and this GTE are both real close to going home. The major coolant leaks in my 330 America seem to be repaired, but I found a small leak from the thermostat housing.

I was ready to make a new one from some gasket material, but decided to look in François’ stash of gaskets. Luck was on my side when I found exactly what I needed!

Just a reminder, I’m looking for a new Vintage Ferrari Project. If you have, or know of a restoration project, please let me know. It would be great to restore another car on this website! My E-mail.

Previous Restoration Day
Next Restoration Day
Home page