Glass, Rubber, Lights
Several weeks ago I found the driver’s side window of a GTB/4 badly scratched, and the best way to remidy this problem was to have a new piece of side glass made for the car. The side windows of most cars is tempered, which means it is stronger and more resistant to breaking than untreated glass. It also breaks into small fragments instead of dangerous shards like normal glass. Making new glass required taking regular glass, cutting it to size, and sending it out for heat treating.
To make this piece of glass a true replacement, I had to imprint the original factory markings on the glass. Luckily, I had made stencils before for a GTB, so I ordered a new set for this piece of glass from my stencil maker.
There are two ways to etch glass, with acid or abrasive media blasting. My stencils were made for media blasting, and I have small airbrush sized media blaster specifically for this process. Once I masked the area for blasting, I carefully blasted the glass with the new stencil.
The new rubber driveshaft doughnuts came for the PF Cab in the shop.
Before removing the retaining strap, I installed the bolts, nuts, and cotterpins. I did whatever I could on the bench but eventually had to installed the driveshaft and finished up under the car.
In between other jobs, I continued removing all the red RTV spread liberally on all the engine parts on the PF Cab. We’ll have to seal some of the gasket surfaces with RTV as well, but we’ll use something a little less obvious than red RTV!
A Europa we have at the shop is heading to Cavallino, and there really wasn’t much for me to do on the car, except to check the general operation of the lights and switches they check when judging the car. When I finally found the location of the fog light switch, I discovered one of the lights wasn’t working.
After disassembling the light housing, I found a piece of electrical tape insulating the contacts to the back of the bulb. It soon became obvious the bulb was shorting out the fog light circut whenever the fog lights were turned on, so the easy fix was to tape over the hot wire. A part of the light fixture for the hot contacts was missing, so it wasn’t going to be an easy fix. I guess that’s why the last guy resorted to taping over the offending wire! I figured out a way to get the light to work without shorting out the fixture, but it took me longer than I would have liked to fix a simple fog light, but I guess was to be expected with old Ferraris!
With both fog lights burning brightly, we were ready to take her to a show!