SII 330 Brakes and Exhaust


I’m working on two sets of brake caliper rebuilds, so I made sure the right caliper went with the right car. Even though both cars are 330GT 2+2s, they have very different brake set ups. The SI car has two sets of boosters and a floor mounted brake master cylinder. The calipers are sized differently than the SII 330GT that has a single booster mounted on the firewall between the pedal and the master cylinder. I had the cylinders resleeved in stainless steel and plated. Everything was finished in white cadmium plating and ready for reassembly.


The front bridge pipe fittings on the SII car were pretty chewed up so I needed to make new pipes to fit new fittings. We have sample pipe to copy when making up these pipes so they will fit tight against the caliper.


This caliper is ready to bolt into place with new fititngs, plating and brake pads.


When I started installing the rear brake calipers, I noticed a frayed parking brake cable. Now was the time to replace this cable and the owner agreed when I sent him a picture.


Unfortunately, to replace this cable, the rear parking brake cable and sheathing has to be removed from under the car and new cable installed. The ends will have to brazed on and reinstalled.


While I was under the car pulling out the parking brake cable, I removed the right side exhaust to address some of the leaks.


There was a hole in the muffler from some kind of impact. The surrounding steel is pretty solid, so a patch can be welded in.


The hole in the muffler could have been done in the car with a mig welder, but there were more issues that had to addressed. Ansa systems are not very durable, and no matter what is done to prevent them from rusting, they seem to rust pretty quickly. This system had little drain holes drilled in the pipes to allow condensation from rusting out the system from inside, but as you can see, it didn’t help! The steel in this section is pretty thin, and welding a repair will be futile. Timevalve makes stainless steel tips that can be welded in place of the rusty tips that I think will be a cost effective repair.


The clutch job on the SII car is stalled until I find a replacement bushing. The exact replacement just isn’t available. My parts supplier sent me a spring shackle bushing to see if I can make it work. It has two of the three dimensions I need, and I could machine a spacer to make up the difference in outer diameter. We’ll see.