Fixing Dino Sticky Shifter and a Sagging Seat

After a Fall driving season, the owner of the low mileage Dino we bought out of Oakland returned for some more work. I wasn’t expecting the car back at my shop so soon, but since the car was going to stored for the winter, the owner decided to have a few things done so it was ready to drive when the warm weather returned.

As I was unloading the car off the transporter, I found the shifter to be a little sticky. It was the same feeling I got from a shifter in a GTC a few months ago that simply needed a cleaning and some lubrication. The temperature that day below freezing when the Dino came off the truck, so the problem went away after the car warmed up inside my shop, but I wanted to make sure this wasn’t going to be a problem in the future. The first step was to remove the seats to get access to the shifter mechanism.

Once the seats and console were out of the way, I was able to access the shifter mechanism. I cleaned out the old grease and dirt, and applied some new grease so the shifter would work smoothly in all temperatures.

When the seats came out of the car, I noticed the telltale sign of original seat foam by the crumbs left by the seat foam on the carpets.

One of the things on the list of “to-dos” was to see if anything could be done about the sagging driver’s seat. The foam was getting old and was loosing some of its spring, so the driver’s bucket seat felt more like a bucket than a seat!

The original leather seats on this car were nearly perfect and I wanted to preserve them the best I could, but also try to fix the problem without destroying the originality, so I added some foam to the seat bottom and replaced some of the old support straps that were allowing too much of the seat to sag.

Looking closer at the seat, I realized almost all the driver’s weight was held by three straps, and through the years, the foam, and these three straps had become loose and unsupportive. The straps I used were wider than the original straps, so with the extra layer of foam, the seat felt much better.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but sometimes a video does a even better job! Here’s the video of the repair I did with the Dino seats!