selling a car to the UK

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

t walgamuth

selling a car to the UK

Post by t walgamuth »

I have a fellow who is interested in buying my pf coupe who is in England. Has anybody here had experience in doing a sale out of the country?

Tom Walgamuth
tom walgamuth
pf coupe #1421
330GT

Post by 330GT »

It's not too difficult. I sold one to the UK. The buyer set everything up with a freight forwarder. All I had to do was sign the title, fill out a little paperwork and deliver the car to the forwarder. After the wire transfer when though of course.

Your buyer doesn't happen to be Steve Pilkington per chance?
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
t walgamuth

Post by t walgamuth »

No.

I am not 100% sure he is for real yet but it looks promising. He has not told me he is sending a wire for more money and I need to send him $50k back yet. :wink:

Tom W
tom walgamuth
pf coupe #1421
a1topdog

Post by a1topdog »

330GT wrote:It's not too difficult. I sold one to the UK. The buyer set everything up with a freight forwarder. All I had to do was sign the title, fill out a little paperwork and deliver the car to the forwarder. After the wire transfer when though of course.
Hi , I'm in the UK , and as mentioned above is correct. The main thing is the car must have a clear title. Without that things start to get difficult.
t walgamuth

Post by t walgamuth »

The title is clear.

Tom W
tom walgamuth
pf coupe #1421
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

I'm assuming it is the same person that is looking for a drum braked car on Fchat... 246tasman, if I recall.

Good luck with the sale!

Regards,

Art S.
1965 330 2+2 series 2 7919
t walgamuth

Post by t walgamuth »

Good guess.

He seems for real so far.

Tom Walgamuth
tom walgamuth
pf coupe #1421
AndrewW-G

Post by AndrewW-G »

Hopefully not the chap from ormskirk who's currently tearing a few 250's apart to make replica cal spyders?
400 "30897" " Mondial "45461" & lots of other peoples toys at work
t walgamuth

Post by t walgamuth »

He says not.

Tom W
tom walgamuth
pf coupe #1421
AndrewW-G

Post by AndrewW-G »

t walgamuth wrote:He says not.

Tom W
Hi Tom

If you need any help with this deal please feel free to PM me, have brokered several US/UK deals and shipping, so know most of the pitfalls.
400 "30897" " Mondial "45461" & lots of other peoples toys at work
t walgamuth

Post by t walgamuth »

Thanks very much, Andrew.

PM sent.

Tom
tom walgamuth
pf coupe #1421
t walgamuth

Post by t walgamuth »

How long does a wire of money take?

Tom
tom walgamuth
pf coupe #1421
a1topdog

Post by a1topdog »

t walgamuth wrote:How long does a wire of money take?

Tom
What method is being used? ie Western Union , Paypal or Bank to Bank?

I'm hoping you are using bank to bank. This is safest but takes the longest. Expect it to take 5 -10 days to clear the funds. Make sure you give your bank exact instructions as to the amount , currency , date paid , what the senders bank info and account numbers etc. This way they can put a claim in of it at their clearing agent and it saves the funds floating around in cyberspace unclaimed. Also check with you bank if there is a period after recipt of funds that the sender can reclaim them. I think the funds can reclaimed upto 10 days after receipt. You don't want to be letting the doc's or the car go until thie reclaim period has passed , even if you can see the cash in your bank account.

Also instruct your bank that any wire transfer charges etc are charged to the sender , not to yourself. Obviously make sure that the sender is OK with this before hand. It can come as a surprise if you don't do this and you receive less then expected.
t walgamuth

Post by t walgamuth »

Thank you mr. A1topdog.

I will use the information you have offered to the best of my ability.

Tom Walgamuth
tom walgamuth
pf coupe #1421
a1topdog

Post by a1topdog »

No problem. Another thing I would say is don't let the buyer put you under pressure by trying to rush the transaction. That's when mistakes happen and they can prove to be expensive. At the end of the day the buyer has to wait 3-4 weeks for the car to arrive by boat , so taking bit of time to get a smooth wire transfer done and cleared should not bother them. (unless they are dodgy!!)