Spark plug wrench of 250 toolkit

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Melchior

Spark plug wrench of 250 toolkit

Post by Melchior »

Hello,

The spark plug wrench of the original toolkit from the 250 series varied in two different lengths - a long and a short version. I try to figure out which one would be the right model for my 250 GTE #3631.

Chris mentioned, that the long version would not work at the outside plug engine models. It would collide with some other parts when accessing the plugs at the firewall-side. So you would conclude, that the change from the long version happened with the change from the inside plug to the outside plug engines. However, it seems that there are some original 250‘s with outside plug engines that do have the long spark plug wrench.

Probably Ferrari took what they had in the shelf without taking exact care of the engine change. But even then, the stock would not have been that large so that the change would have happened that late as it seems.

Another theory could be, that the factory never used the wrench from the toolkit to change spark plugs and it happened somewhen later that someone realized that it needed a shorter version for the new engine design.

Does anybody have a clue? Or does anybody have an outside plug engine with proven original tool kit who could inform about the length of his spark plug wrench?

Best regards,

Martin
250 GTE #3631 (series Ii)
DWR46

Re: Spark plug wrench of 250 toolkit

Post by DWR46 »

Long Wrench= Inside Plugs, Short Wrench= Outside Plugs. Yes, there would have been some overlap in the Toolkits, but not over about 100 cars at the most. Toolkits were ordered from outside suppliers and the factory did not keep a large inventory of kits.
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

My tool kit came with the car (except for the Hub Puller and Grease Gun Hose), but is a late Series III, so not necessarily applicable to your question. However, here are some photos.
DSC02888-2.JPG
DSC02886-2.JPG
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Tom: Your photos look like the Weber Carburetor Wrench, NOT the Spark Plug Wrench.
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

You are absolutely correct! Sorry about that...
DSC02863-2.JPG
DSC02862-2.JPG
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

Hello Tom,
I realized that the spark plug wrench I came across recently looks different to yours - the label shows "Fomes" wheras yours shows something with ...ema. Which of these is the genuine one for a 250 GTE series II? Did it happen that there were different suppliers?

Best regards, Martin
Attachments
image4.jpg
image3.jpg
image2.jpg
image1.jpg
image0.jpg
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Darned good question! All of my tools (except the hub puller and grease hose) came with the car when I bought it in 2000. The guy I bought it from was the second owner and owned it since 1984. He was a shade tree mechanic and never spent a dime he didn't have to. The car was rebuilt with duct and electrical tape, so I cannot imagine him spending money on a historically correct spark plug wrench; he would have gone to the Bap Geon catalogue. So I have no reason to think it is not correct, but cannot prove it either. Also, I don't think Ferrari gave a darn about who made their tools so it would make sense that they change suppliers from time to time.

Another fun bit of Ferrari tool trivia for us to ponder is their use of aluminum in the doors, hood and trunk to save weight when the tool kit weighs 22 pounds...
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

Hello Tom,

I have no doubt that you are right with your assumptions. I am looking to buy a genuine spark plug wrench now and as the price is rather high i do not want to end up buying a false item, that´s why I try to better understand what came from the factory and what is reproduction. Do you know someone who has a genuine wrench for sale for a reasonable price?

regards, Martin
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Unfortunately, no. It might be helpful to look for Fiat or Maseratti tools and see if any of them used the same wrench.