Oil Cooler Ideas?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

robsandiego

Oil Cooler Ideas?

Post by robsandiego »

I'm on the hunt for an oil cooler as I think my oil temp runs a little high. Everyone I talk to says the needle shoud be pointing straight up and mine doesn't. I had the temp of the oil checked thru the dipstick and it appears the gauge reads correct. (105°C to 110°C equals 221°F to 230°F). I understand oil coolers are hard to come by. Anyone have a reasonably easy solutution?
Rob
330 GTC #9055
Deane

Post by Deane »

Later 330's had an oil cooler built-in to the bottom of the radiator. Maybe you could use one of those? I don't know if the mounting, etc is any different.

Or look for a VW oil cooler online (for those 60's machines).
Deane
'67 330GTS (gone but not forgotten)
Yale

Post by Yale »

Damn Rob, what are you doing? Long drives at 100mph? I have never had my oil get anywhere near hot except at the track and even then it didn't get anything but close to straight up. Maybe something else is going on? Everytime something my car seems off it tends to mean something is actually wrong, it is not the car not working properly.

Are there other folks out there whose oil gets hot?

Best,

Yale
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
zac

Post by zac »

Rob,

just so happens I have a 365 radiator with a cooler I bought to adapt to my car since mine came with a larger radiator and the cooler bypassed(facotry?) the radiator is currently disassembled and the cooler is part of the bottem tank and is really just two fittings attached to four lenghts of aluminum. You are welcome to use mine to copy if that will help you.
I too am located here in San Diego, as a matter of fact I sold Joel the GTC emblem on the back of your car.

Best,

Zac
1970 365 gt 2+2 13137, 1997 550 Maranello, 1969 Lamborghini Miura S, 1973 365 GTB/4 Daytona
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

It's been my experience that after a good long run the water and oil tempratures are about the same.

john
PF Coupe
robsandiego

Post by robsandiego »

Oh boy, now I feel good hearing how "cool" you guys are...

I'm talking normal driving. Of course now that it's getting a little warmer out I'm noticing it more.

I will have to do some work. I am not as handy as most of you and trouble shooting is kinda out of my league. I would like to take it to Bobileff but I'm afraid with Concroso around the corner I might not be a high priority. I've got a friend or two that are more mechanically inclined and I thought the oil cooler would be a fairly straight forward fix betwen us. Maybe it's something else.

Let me make sure what straight up is. My car being euro measures oil at 100°C straight up. Water measures straight up at 90°C. That's 212°F for oil and 194°F for water. My water nearly always stays tilted left (80°C/176°F) unless I'm idling for long periods but then the fans kick on. Are you guys getting the same temps? Have any of you actually measured the oil temp directly to see how accurate your gauges are?

Zac, I may just need yours to copy if it gets to that. I have seen the what I think are a radiator at the bottom of the main radiator and then also set-ups where there appears to be a second radiator placed in front of the main radiator. Ever do the event in Carlsbad or the Symbolic event?

Thanks guys.
Rob
330 GTC #9055
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

In the cooler months here in Dallas--October through April--my oil temp and water both read straight up or 5 deg. to the left, in the hot months, straight up or 5 deg. to the right, depending hon how hard I run it. My guages are US-version.

I don't drive the 330 that much in the summer and when I do, early in the morning or just short drives when it's very hot outside.

I've got a single auxiliary cooling fan installed and am thinking about replacing it with a double. An oil cooler sounds like a good idea as well.

Rebuilding my tach and speedo and general reconditioning of all the other instruments is in the plans but probably not till next year. Got to get these wheels done this year.
Current: 1983 308 GTS
R.I.P: 330 2+2 s/n 5409
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

bluecat49 wrote:In the cooler months here in Dallas--October through April--my oil temp and water both read straight up or 5 deg. to the left, in the hot months, straight up or 5 deg. to the right, depending hon how hard I run it. My guages are U.S.-version.

I don't drive the 330 that much in the summer and when I do, early in the morning or just short drives when it's very hot outside.

I've got a single auxiliary cooling fan installed and am thinking about replacing it with a double. An oil cooler sounds like a good idea as well.

Rebuilding my tach and speedo and general reconditioning of all the other instruments is in the plans but probably not till next year. Got to get these wheels done this year.
Somehow, I don't think Texas was in the U.S. marketing plans for Ferrari in the 60's.
Current: 1983 308 GTS
R.I.P: 330 2+2 s/n 5409
tyang

Post by tyang »

Somehow, I don't think Texas was in the U.S. marketing plans for Ferrari in the 60's.
I don't think any car designed in the 60s took into account the amount of traffic we now experience in modern living. Their radiators can dissipate the heat, but the air flow is usually the problem.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
JAshburne

Post by JAshburne »

I'm not sure that you have a problem. What does the oil temp get to? On my 400i, normal water temp is 90 and oil varies between 100-105 or so during the summer. I actually have the opposite problem in the winter, when on really cold days (say 20 F) my oil temp on the highway might drop down to 80.

I actually think that an oil temp above the water boiling point (100C) is good because it ensures that any moisture in the oil pan is boiled out.

I wouldn't think that you have too much cause for concern as long as your water temps are <100C and oil temps close to that, but probably no higher than 110C.

John
John Ashburne
1983 400i 5 speed, silver/black
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

The oil temp sender located on the bottom of the oil pan can be a source of some reading problems. They often become faulty over time or when oil gets into the restive element. Before you invest in a cooler check the sender out. The 250's and 275's rarely need an oil cooler unless raced on a long track.

Also, using heavy oil, 40W or 50W can increase oil temps, because of bearing heating with the heavier oils.