Restoration Progress - Opinions Requested

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

Well, you learn something new each day. I got a call from the chrome shop that is re-chroming all the seemingly hundreds of odd bits and pieces from the 330. "Are you aware that the bumpers are solid stainless steel?" I had no idea. Apparently, the mounts, though, are not stainless. These are rusty and no longer road-worthy. So, now I have to have a machine shop fabricate and specially weld new stainless mounts ($$) and then have a special "cold" chroming process performed ($$$).

Anyone else encounter this issue?
1964 330 GT 2+2 (s/n 5839)
1969 Intermeccanica Italia
Yale

Post by Yale »

Yeah my bumpers are stainless as well. Francois thought someone had replaced the orginal chrome steel ones with these....are they what came with the cars? Or did some do a bunch of stainless repros that both of our cars have?...Tune in next week for the exciting conclusion to our story. Yale
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

As far as I know, Series 1 cars had stainless bumpers. The Series 2 multi section bumpers are not stainless.

Benjamin,

Why are you chroming the bumpers rather than just polishing them?

Regards,

Art S.
1965 330 2+2 series 2 7919
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

Art - the guys at the chrome shop are perfectionists - they do "show quality" work. Their view is that there are some pits that should be filled. I'm inclined to just polish it out. Don't think I will ever be entering her in Concorso.
1964 330 GT 2+2 (s/n 5839)
1969 Intermeccanica Italia
tyang

Post by tyang »

Art - the guys at the chrome shop are perfectionists - they do "show quality" work. Their view is that there are some pits that should be filled. I'm inclined to just polish it out. Don't think I will ever be entering her in Concorso.
Can't stainless be welded, ground smooth, and polished? Although the differences are subtle, polished stainless has a different look than chrome steel. Stainlees is also more durable over time, as there is no risk of the chrome flaking off.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
klv

Post by klv »

Kerry: I am surprised the production number for RHD cars was that low - other than the U.K., Australia and Japan, where else do they drive on the "other" side of the road?

Also, would you know from your registry how many RHD Series I cars remain viable (i.e., not Shaunessied)?
Only decent countries drive on the proper side of the road - for good historical reasons! I can think of about 6 or 8 330 GTs in Australia, but would have to talk to a couple of guys to confirm what is still around here. Hugh Cromie's car is a good candidate for being "Shaunessied" unless he gets into the garage soon and gets working on it! :D He's as bad as my father for dragging out projects. (cheers Hugh!)
Kelly La Velle & Andrew Stevens