Knurled nuts

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

John Vardanian

Knurled nuts

Post by John Vardanian »

Is there a tool or technique to tightening those plated knurled nuts, like the ones on the dash, without fouling the "teeth"?

john
PF Coupe
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

John, these types of nuts were intended to be finger tightened, so as not to crush the part they were holding. This is especially true of the ones on the air cleaner housing.
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

Even though finger tightened, they can be a real bear to remove, especially on the dash having sat undisturbed for decades. The ones of my former Lancia Appias were next to impossible to budge. I like to wrap the nut and needle nose with masking tape or duct tape and in conjunction with a thin rag around the nut, and ever so carefully, try to turn the nut. First, if I can get access to it, I try to turn the switch from the back of the dash and see if I can work the nut loose that way before anything else.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks for your comments gents.

Jimmy, the nuts that are around the toggle switches are so thin that it is hard to grip it with fingers firmly enough to get the right tightness. But I will keep trying. Better to keep retightening than to damage the nuts with pliers.

Rudy's suggesstion is not a bad one either.

Thanks.

john
PF Coupe
afwrench

Post by afwrench »

This has worked for me if the switch knob or toggle is not too big. Get a deep socket that just fits around the nut and place some of the rubber stuff that is used under rugs to keep them from sliding on the floor. Place some in the socket as a liner or around the nut. As tou gently turn the socket, by hand, the rubber will bunch up around the nut and grip it ,has worked a few times for me . Regards Mike
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

John, "OH" those nuts! Well the same applies, they tighten onto sometimes die cast materials, or plastic/fiber items in the switches, and excess force can damage those very expensive controls - especially the wiper switch. A small dab of non hardening Loctite could keep them from vibrating about. But be sure to use only your hands to push the nut into the dash as you tighten. Holding the control in back of the dash can keep it aligned while tightning. Be sure that you have a flat washer between the nut and the dash, as it will keep the nut from damaging the surface of the dash. There is usually an inside tooth star lock washer between the switch and the inside of the dash. This keeps them from rotating when the control is used. These washers and small plated flat washers can usually be found in radio or hobby stores. Jim Riff
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks gents for the valuable advice.

john
PF Coupe