Moderators: 330GT, abrent

David Hodge

Post by David Hodge »

"I can have a 3d scan taken of the cap"

What sort of scan is it?
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi David,

"Grumpy2" aka Tom Farrell, works for Penske South, and has access to some pretty cool technology. With Mooresville, NC being a town grown to support several NASCAR race teams, there are many subcontactors that can create race parts from scratch. Imagine just like you can make a 2-D scan of an image, there are devices that can scan three dimensional objects.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
David Hodge

Post by David Hodge »

what generates the data for the 3-D model, light? x-ray?
zac

Post by zac »

have you tride any of the rapid prototyping services out there?

my wife uses a company here in So Cal all the time for one off runs and initial samples before making the mold for mass production.

This company makes the best machine and is at least worth looking into
www.stratasys.com

as long as you have a part to digitize or a cad model they can have a part in your hand in a matter of days
1970 365 gt 2+2 13137, 1997 550 Maranello, 1969 Lamborghini Miura S, 1973 365 GTB/4 Daytona
David Hodge

Post by David Hodge »

how do you get a digital data set that represents the original part (the distributor cap). i'm just curious how this works since i make clinical 3D images from cat scan data sets all the time. i noticed that stratasys companies machine use "insight" software which is the same name as the siemens 3D rendering soft ware from some of our scanners.
grumpy2

scans

Post by grumpy2 »

The 3d scan I think gives the best results is a Atos scan this will take a series of degital pictures with registation points on the part. That file is then surfaced in a surfaceing CAD program and a 3d solid model is made.Form there you can make a rap-part useing SLA OR SLS . There are different types of matereal you can use. The machine that I am useing is made by 3D-systems.
Grumpy2

63 250 GTE s/n 4157 (apart for now)
grumpy2

ct scan

Post by grumpy2 »

I was told by the person who will be doing the suface work that if you can scan the part with a ct scaner all he will need is a point cloud to then make the solid model.
Grumpy2

grumpy2

Post by grumpy2 »

can we get a pic of the inside of the cap and is the cap two parts maybe glued together at the line under the plug wires?
Grumpy2

grumpy2

lucus caps

Post by grumpy2 »

Did you find a cap or did you give up?
Grumpy2

xs10shl

Post by xs10shl »

Just curious here - is it possible to use a silicon molding technique to reproduce the cap? By that I mean - can you create a negative mold of the cap out of silicone rubber, and make a few reproductions that way?

Alternatively, I suppose you could create an injection mold using a CAD program, and have a company like eMachineShop run off 20 copies.
grumpy2

silicone mold

Post by grumpy2 »

I have made silicone molds of parts before and it is a very good way to make a mold for a few parts but there is a slight chance of hurting the orginal part. Using the scan will give you the chance to do the changes you will need to do to get the inner parts you will have to adapt to the new cap. with the casted part you will have to make the changes to the casted part and before you glue the new parts in you could make a new mold of the changed part. I will all depend on if you wand to use the real cap in the first place.
Grumpy2

rwills

Post by rwills »

Bill Tipton and I have finally found someone to remanufacture distributor caps, points and rotor arms for our 250s that were fitted with Lucas Racing Distributors. There were very few Ferrari road cars fitted with these and parts are impossible to find. My search has taken me all over the world to no avail and finally through some long-winded communications on both sides of the Atlantic we are onto a company who can do it.

If you know of any 250 owner with Lucas distributors can you please let Bill or I know and we will coordinate an order for a small run of parts.

I have posted some pics of my distributor, cap, points and rotor arm on http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread ... 99&page=18

Roger
1959 Ferrari 250GT PF Coupe 1479GT
Jim Wickstead

distributor cap & rotor

Post by Jim Wickstead »

Gents:

I think the way to possibly accomplish this is as follows:

a) pull a silicone tool from the existing cap

or

b) 3-D CAD the cap and do an SLA as a pattern (factoring in shrinkage)

Then:
1) Machine metal parts and fabricate
2) Make a silicone tool and cast in place the metal parts using an epoxy or urathane casting material

both materials are strong, have good dialectric properties and are temperature resistant.

all highly experimental, but seems feasible based on my experience. there a number of shops that could do this, and it can be accomplished in small quantities. Some liberties may need to be taken but the end result could work to your satisfaction.

Jim W.
rwills

Post by rwills »

Jim,

We were saying that we have finally found a company to do it professionally. All the previous avenues we went down led into dead-ends. But thanks for your summary of the process.

Roger
1959 Ferrari 250GT PF Coupe 1479GT