How about something close?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

John Se

How about something close?

Post by John Se »

Is also possible to make a distributor on a lathe, they are not complex, a housing and shaft, pressed on or staked on gear, couple of bearings. We replaced or crappy lucas dizzy'z on racing cosworths in the 70's with a local made dizzy not cheap but not too bad either. Is this some sort of a concourse car or museum car?
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

If someone could post some images (either photographs or drawings) of the distributor, I could tell you whether or not I could tackle the job on my lathe.
1967 330 GT 2+2 #9453
Sleeper

Post by Sleeper »

How do you do this on a lathe? I would think they would have to be done in a mold. This is bakelite isn't it? And unlike most caps the wires come out of one half of the cap instead of all around it.
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

The lathe work would be a starting point for a male mold. I assume that there are seperate ears for bolting the cap onto the distributor housing, plug wire outlets, and other bits that are asymetric and can't be turned on the lathe. They would need seperate operations.

Like I said, if someone could post some images, I could tell you whether or not it was possible for me and my limited skills. I could probably reproduce the caps on my 330, but it would certainly be a challenge.
1967 330 GT 2+2 #9453
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

Are you talking about the lower portion that houses the points? This would be extreemly hard to reproduce on anything but a CNC machine, but to what avail? They rarely ever go bad and there is no market for them, at least not enough to even recoup any costs. As for the caps, again very hard to do, and the repros are already being made by GT Parts in Phoenix at a reasonable cost.
Sleeper

Post by Sleeper »

Jimmyr wrote:Are you talking about the lower portion that houses the points? This would be extreemly hard to reproduce on anything but a CNC machine, but to what avail? They rarely ever go bad and there is no market for them, at least not enough to even recoup any costs. As for the caps, again very hard to do, and the repros are already being made by GT Parts in Phoenix at a reasonable cost.
We are talking about Lucas Racing distributors made in the late 50's and fitted on a few Ferrari's.