brake rubber bits, wheel bearing, oil filters for 330gt

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

steve lapp

brake rubber bits, wheel bearing, oil filters for 330gt

Post by steve lapp »

Well, I have had my fun driving the "new" 330 for about 200 km, and now it is time to start getting the car sorted - first the brakes.

The brakes came apart easily and once they were apart, I could see the wheel cylinders definitely need refurbishment and the pads replaced. I have new cylinder boots from the previous owner but need piston seals and pads - I would appreciate any names of suppliers that are good for little bits like that. I am starting cold on building my suppliers, having not had any old red cars before. If anyone knows of Canadian suppliers that would be of interest, but I expect most will be US sources.

I am quite familiar with and have acess to good lathes, so I am going to try to repair one cylinder by sand blasting the rust out and laying in new bronze weld all over the interior bore, then rebore it to the original 2.125 in dia., this will cost about $4 dollars in material per wheel cylinder, shall let you know how this goes. I will make a jig with four pins where the mounting holes are to hold the cylinder for reboring much as they would have been held during original manfacturing.

I am curious what the little metal pin is for that sticks up from the bottom centre of the wheel cylinder, and goes into the piston - anyone know?? I am also amazed how well the 330 brakes worked - despite the discs being wet with brake fluid, I am looking forward to what they are like when working properly. Maybe you are wondering how i drove 200 km with wet front discs, well I have a very old truck that takes 1/2 mile to stop under the best of conditions, so am used to driving well ahead of where I am.

Since they rumble a bit, I am also going to replace the front wheel bearings while mucking around at this end of the car, I am assuming I can source replacement front bearings from a bearing dealer, any thoughts in this area? Are the rumours of the rear bearings being trickier to source - true?

A mechanic I stopped at says one of the oil filters looks like it was over pressurized, it does seem so, I have read this a problem if you do not have strong enough filters, what do you folks like to use - the distorted filter on the passenger side is Purolator model L30001, on the driver side is model L30003 - not distorted - again being a neophyte - this leads me to all sorts of questions - any thoughts from the experienced folks??

The car is holdig up well under closer scrutiny as to general condition and everything has come apart easily to date, and does not look to have been abused or even taken apart much, judging by wear on nuts and bolts.

One mystery is still the rumbling in the back end, which on living with the car for 200 km is clearly associated with slight sideways accelerations of steering or cornering, but is exaccerbated during light braking - likely a rear wheel bearing, or possibly the disc grinding on something, but any thoughts there appreciated too.

Having fun, but can't wait to do some more driving with good brakes. Hope the good weather has other folks enjoying their machinery.

Cheers

Steve
Steve Lapp
Ontario Canada
2013 Nissan Leaf, 2002 Prius, 56 Healey 100-4, 74 BMW 2002, 330 GT 2+2 s/n 6241, 54 Dodge M152 (listed by decreasing fuel economy)
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Steve,

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the car.

I'm going to try to field some of the questions in this long post! You might try keeping the questions simple to each post so the message doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

Baldwin Filters are recommended for your Ferrari. I'm not sure which have a higher burst strength, but I've seen some other brands let go, spraying oil all over the engine bay! It's a big nast mess! Although I have Frams on my car right now, I plan to switch to Baldwins at her first oil change.

When a Ferrari motor is cold, be careful not to rev the motor when she first lights up. This initial pressure surge with cold oil is probably what stressed your filter housing.

Parts for your brakes can be bought from GT parts, or Partsource. Both are in my supplier's page.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
andrew

Post by andrew »

Baldwin filters can be a little hard to find. I got mine from B-line filter
'64 330 America s/n 5109
Yale

Post by Yale »

I hesitated to respond to this thread because I felt others would have a better technical grasp of things then I do. That said, my front wheel bearings wore out and GT Car Parts had the least expensive replacements. Inner and outer bearings I think I remember for under $100 a set. In general if GT Car parts have something they will be cheaper then the other suppliers but they mostly have consumables.

Baldwin oil filters can be gotten from Jeff Ohland at Parts Source. They were 7.50 and 15.00 for the two that you need.

I have heard the rear bearings are lubricated from the diff and don't wear out. And as for vibrations many of us have had driveline vibrations coming from an unbalanced drive shaft.

Also some of our cars have a limited slip diff that has these little chiclet like teeth (same as a GTO said Francois before he handed me a bill for the ten that were needed at $100 each!) When they wear you hear a chatter when you round a corner hard.

By the way, I found out my front wheel bearings were worn when I felt the front wheels rubbing. (But there was nothing visible they were rubbing on.)

Best,

Yale
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

Add t oyour list, Dremel Tool polishing the fuse contacts on both fuse boards, while I was at it, I tossed those dredful tin/ceramic fuses and replaced all with glass. The bad chemistry of lead, copper and 2" away battery suffuric acid fumes is remarkable! Michael Bayer 330GT #9727, 365GTC/4 14947
steve lapp

parts

Post by steve lapp »

Great, thanks for sources for bits. Have now been poking around rear axle, with the propellor shaft fixed (i.e. in gear), when I turn one wheel there is a lumpy feel, (diff gears I presume, do all 330's have limited slip, is lumpiness bad news, car did not make axle noises when turning, just rubbing), but if you turn both rear wheel simultaeously forward (in neutral) it runs smoothly, which means main gear and pinion ok..

Scraped about 40 lbs of road dirt and crap off the bottom and fender wells, the inner front fender skirts are made of aluminium, is that original?

Cheers - the exploration continues...
Steve Lapp
Ontario Canada
2013 Nissan Leaf, 2002 Prius, 56 Healey 100-4, 74 BMW 2002, 330 GT 2+2 s/n 6241, 54 Dodge M152 (listed by decreasing fuel economy)
steve lapp

dremel

Post by steve lapp »

Strange you mentioned the Dremel - just bought one last week, together with my bead blaster, I will be grinding and blasting for a few weeks (years?).

cheers
Steve Lapp
Ontario Canada
steve lapp

oil filters

Post by steve lapp »

no luck with Bline for the oil filters, here was the response:

"Greetings from Texas,
The only 65 model listed in my book was listed as the following : 65
275GTB V12 3.3 L
Please note the following information:

OIL FILTER BALDWIN # B253 $9.04 EA. IN STOCK
FUEL FILTER # PF866 $5.35 EA. 1 WEEK LEAD TIME
NO AIR FILTER LISTED
ESTIMATED UPS GRD SERVICE $12.00"

Does anyone know what model of Baldwin filter i should ask for, and which one goes on which side of the engine for a 65 330GT ?

No response yet on my inquiries to suppliers on muffler parts or brake parts - it obviously helps to know who your reliable supplers are, I guess i will eventually find them, but so far no home runs on even simple things.

Cheers
Steve Lapp
Ontario Canada
Yale

Post by Yale »

Steve you are disappointing us. If you are not up to the challenge you are going to have to give the car back and get an Iso Rivolta whose non-body parts can be got from Pep Boys.

Baldwin B-50 $9 from Partsource
Baldwin B253 (this is the bypass filter) $16. from Partsource.

They will have all those other filters you need also. (Maybe not the airfilter).

207-236-9791

This is a one man operation, Geoff used to be the parts manager at Chinetti. He can be less then responsive at times, nothing personel.

Best,

Yale
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
steve lapp

parts

Post by steve lapp »

Hello crew:

Well, yes, so far my sleuthing to find parts has hit a few dead ends, and I am thinking that this Italian car business is all quite ridiculous when it takes hours just to get oil filter sources. I will however not be defeated just yet, and no Iso Rivolta is in my future quite yet (although I have in the past looked that way, do like the shape). Yale has come through with the Baldwin #, thanks, and I will no doubt slowly build a knowledge and parts source base. I had forgotton what it is like to start at the bottom of the learning curve!!

I have asked Baldwin where the nearest canadian distributor is to my location, so I may yet find the filters in Canada!

Having got the filters under control, I am now looking for the two into one header pipes between the manifold and the first muffler. That will be a real test for me!!

Cheers (thanks Yale)
Steve Lapp
Ontario Canada
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Steve,

The good news is those header pipes may be available in YOUR country! Stebro (in Ontario?), made a set for my car from cores I sent them. Andrew is ordering a set for his 330 America, and they should fit your 330. As I told Andrew, have them tack weld the flanges and rear pipe so you can fit them to your exhaust. Once everything lines up, and is bolted down, TIG weld the joints.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
steve lapp

brake pads and oil filters, other bits in Canada

Post by steve lapp »

Ok:

Well I found a local parts house that can supply WIX oil filters #1050 (equivalent to Baldwin B50), $9, and Wix #1622 (Baldwin 253) with backflow prevention, $17. Has anyone used these?

Dan at Stebro has 2 into one header pipes for $260 Can each in stainless, so hopefully these will be here next week.

Front Brake pads from company that supplies Brembo (Alton??) are $30 for pair that are alisted to fit 67 330 GTC and GTS - but not listed specifically for 2+2- Will these fit the 330 2+2??

GT parts had none of the above available, B-line filters also a no go, and no response from Partsource after one week.

Am still looking to source brake seal kit for front brakes.

Cheers

Steve
Steve Lapp
Ontario Canada
tyang

Post by tyang »

I'm not sure, but I think I've seen the wix filters burst. I'd keep lookinng for Baldwin.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
tim

Post by tim »

Greetings.... I've bought brake seal kits from either JAE (www.jaeparts.com) or British Parts Northwest (http://www.bpnorthwest.com/)- don't remember which but I think it was BPNW. Fronts SP2556 - 2 1/8 inch. Fits 65 E type Jag. Rear SP2559 1 5/8 inch and fits some sort of Lancia. Brake pads-contact Porterfield brakes for the R4S compound. Major improvement in stopping and gentle on your not so easy to find rotors. Andy's web site catalog doesn't list them but give him a call and let him know what you've got. He'll know.
1964 330GT 5769 -the big yellow taxi 61&66 Morgan +4's Daimler SP250 Turner 950S and some other dull stuff plus a brand Mercedes C300 4matic
andrew

Post by andrew »

I had no problem ordering from b-line, but perhaps the key is not relying on them to determine which filters are required.

The B253 (right side) was $9.04 and the B50 (left side) was $4.16. I received them within the week.
'64 330 America s/n 5109