You meet the nicest people when your vintage Ferrari fails..

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Matt F

You meet the nicest people when your vintage Ferrari fails..

Post by Matt F »

Yesterday I went for a nice Sunday afternoon drive in my 330, with my 2-year-old son strapped firmly into his car seat, facing forward.

In a world of modern cars with airbags, he usually spends most of his time in the backseats of cars, kind of confined to second-row status, if you know what I mean. In fact, for the first year of his life, he actually was required by law to face backwards while sitting in the back seat. In the Ferrari, however, he sits proud and high, looking straight ahead. He loves that car. He loves the open windows, and the wind in his hair, and the ability to see the road ahead, and all of the other sights there are to see. And he really loves the sound of the engine. I guess he takes after his dad.

We had been driving for a little over an hour, when the engine stopped. At first I assumed I must have stalled it. We were still coasting along, so I put the transmission in second gear and engaged the clutch. The engine sounded like it was firing on all cylinders, but I couldn't accelerate; in fact, the compression was slowing me down. As soon as I pressed the clutch pedal to the floor, the engine fell silent.

I tried to restart the car. The familiar started motor would turn over, but the engine wouldn’t catch.

Uh-oh, I thought. I looked over at my son, who looked tired and hot and actually pretty sleepy. Luckily, we were in a pleasant residential neighbor hood, with a nice flow of traffic, and were safely pulled to the side of the road. I grabbed the one tool that I always take with me, and used it to call my wife. (Next to simple wrenches and screwdrivers, my cutting-edge cell phone is actually worth less than the tools that are in my original Ferrari toolkit. I find that odd, because, to me, it's usually more valuable.)

I couldn't find the hazard switch on the dash; in fact, I couldn't remember if I even had hazard lights. Oh, well. I opened the trunklid, which stayed propped up on its wonderfully designed support, and also opened the hood (which was typically Ferrari-hot to the touch). I poked around a little, looking for a loose connection, but couldn't find anything.

My wife showed up about fifteen minutes later. She found me sitting on a nearby lawn, chatting with another couple, a young graduate student and his wife. They had come over to talk about cars in general, and Ferraris in particular. They were wonderful, kind people.

My wife had missed the people that I had already met, like the guy on his Harley Sportster, or the guy in his M5, or any of the other nuts who either slowed or stopped to see if there was anything that they could do for me. Everyone was very nice, nicer, I believe, than they would have been had I been stranded in a more attractive, modern Ferrari.

Come to think of it, I did get a lot less sympathy when my father's 308 overheated. I was trying to figure out the symptoms of the Ferrari as other cars passed by. Rather than slowing down, people were actually speeding up. "You may have a Ferrari," they seemed to be saying, "But we're traveling faster than you are!" Sometimes this message was punctuated with a middle-finger-salute. Not so with the 330 2+2.

Surprisingly, even though I was obviously stranded, not one Pittsburgh Police car stopped to check on me, although three separate ones passed me. Perhaps they just assumed that I was in good hands with the friends that I was accumulating. Then again, maybe the Ferrari made the cops a little less sympathetic. I'm not sure.

When I got the car home, I measured 11.90 volts across the battery. As I said, the started motor turned fine. I didn't think to try the electric fuel pump, partly because the problem seemed ignition-based. Which may be good and bad; if both distributors aren't getting any spark, it sounds like a more simple connection, rather than a faulty expensive part. Otherwise, I figure, I would have been running on six cylinders, right?

Tonight, when I have more time, I'll look at my wiring diagram, and try to see where I have power, and where I don't. But I'm a really poor electrician. If you guys could point me in the right direction, with any extra hints of what to look for, I'd really appreciate it.

Next Sunday is Father's Day, and I'd like to take my son out for another drive, and see who we meet. (While I'm at it, I'll also post this on FerrariChat and see what kind of help I can get.)

Thanks in advance,

--Matt
1967 330 GT 2+2 #9453
JAshburne

Post by JAshburne »

Matt:

Sorry to hear that your ride was interrupted, but at least it worked out okay.

From your description, I would check that fuel pump first. Possible problems could be a blown fuse or loose wire in the circuit or, if the weather was very hot, vapor lock.

Try to start the car in your garage now and see what happens. If it was vapor lock, it should start right up. If it still doesn't work, leave the ignition in the "on" position and listen to hear if the fuel pump is making noise. If is is not, check to see if there is current to the pump with a voltmeter and, if not, work your way back to the fuse box. If there is current but no noise, the fuel pump is bad.

If the pump is making noise, it probably is pumping fuel but you can check by looking at your fuel filter if it is clear. If not, you can disconnect a fuel line as close to the carbs as possible, get a large container ready to catch fuel and have a helper turn on the ignition for a second or two to see if it is pumping. If you get fuel coming out, your problem is possibly ignition or elsewhere.

Hope it is something simple and inexpensive! Good luck!

John
John Ashburne
1983 400i 5 speed, silver/black
sam231

Post by sam231 »

John hits all the buttons, but I vote for vapor lock judging by how hot and humid it has been the past week or so. I have had what you describe happen to me a number of times in this weather and thank a prior owner for installing an extra fan and Enzo for the electric fuel pump!
'72 365 GTC/4 # 14953; ex-owner 330 GT 2+2 # 8025 :>(
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

The above mentioned tips will usually get you going again. The main issue would be do you hear the click - click from the electric fuel pump when you switch it on? If not that could be the problem. A quick road fix has usually been a slight tap on the bottom of the electric pump to jar it into action.( it is located right in front of the left rear wheel) Possibly that is why they included a small hammer in the tool kits? In hot weather or hard driving the electric pump can help over come vapor lock. Jim Riff
afwrench

Post by afwrench »

Remove the air cleaner and pump the go pedal ,see if it shoots fuel ,if it does then fuel is getting to the carbs. Pull a plug wire and ground it to check for spark ,first two things to do .
72,365gtc4,14681,2007 599 GTB
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

Thank you, friends, for your responses.

I'm hoping that it was vapor lock. Like I said, I didn't think to try the electric fuel pump, and it certainly was hot.

I'll let you know.
1967 330 GT 2+2 #9453
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

Vapor lock it was!

I just got home, and the car started right up.

(Man, was that inexpensive!)
1967 330 GT 2+2 #9453
PETER GABRIEL

Post by PETER GABRIEL »

As I recall, in very hot weather, the electric pump should be left on, to avoid vapor lock.?? :?:
330GT

Post by 330GT »

There's a single fuse that provides current to both coils. That's about the only single point of failure for the ignition system provided that the other circuits that are switched by the ignition switch are working.

Failure of one side will allow the car to continue to run though probably backfiring as the gas on the failing bank burns in the exhaust.

So I would also suspect vapor lock. If the car starts and runs fine now that it is cold, then double check that the electric fuel pump works properly. If so, use it under similar conditions.

I found that my 330 didn't want to restart after refueling. The day was warm, ~85, but not hot. The heat under the hood while the car was stopped was enough to cause a vapor lock. After several tries, the light bulb dawned in my head and I switched on the electric pump. After it filled the float bowls and slowed down, the car started fine.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
fuiszt

Post by fuiszt »

I've also had trouble from time to time post refuel-fixed with the electric pump and more throttle than I would usually use to start the car. If you have a manual, you can read that that is the recommended procedure for a difficult hot start.
I had a similar experience with friendly people when my rear caliper slowly locked up driving to work. Sadly was not all better later on, but hopefully the car will be on the road again with a few other things fixed up soon.
64 330gt 2+2 #6413
jgerken

You meet the nicest people...

Post by jgerken »

Back in the 80's I was taking my 330GT to Hill and Vaughn for some work and my car died on the Santa Monica Blvd. exit ramp from the 405. I coasted to a stop and as I got out, a black turbo Bentley stopped to see if I needed help. I talked about my car with Farah while Ryan O'Neil used his then rather rare cell phone to call a flat bed.

Jim :D
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

That's a great story, Jim. I can only imagine...

I should spend more time stranded in Southern California than in lousy Pittsburgh!
1967 330 GT 2+2 #9453