Generator or Regulator?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Michael Greenspan

Generator or Regulator?

Post by Michael Greenspan »

Returning to the house yesterday I noticed that the ammeter was sitting at about -10 amps and did not go back to 0 or charging at highway speeds. Normally at highway speeds the ammeter is bouncing back and forth (which I had attributed to a worn regulator that would need tending to). The ammeter did respond to the turn signal by going to -15 (my guesses - there are no numbers). When I got back to the garage, I measured the generator output (I still have the original generator delivered in 1964) and it was about 9.4 volts - I believe it should have been about 13.7 volts. What I am not sure about is whether I needed to disconnect the regulator lead before I measured the voltage. If leaving the regulator attached is OK, I am assuming that the generator needs to be rebuilt. Is that correct? Also, if I do need to have the generator rebuilt should I have the regulator done at the same time? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks

Michael - 330 America 4969
Charlie_Dodge

Do both.

Post by Charlie_Dodge »

I had my alternator rebuilt by Eddie Witkum at North Shore Auto Electric in Danvers, MA. He has a great reputation among the vintage car garages in the area and was highly recommended by Michael at Glynn Motorsports. There was an internal mechanical failure and my diodes were shot. He Quoted a price to rebuild it that was extreemly reasonable. I also replaced the regulator because bad diodes in the alternator could have fried it. Do both for peace of mind.
Charlie Dodge
1966 330 2+2 series 2 sn 8095
1967 BMW 2000cs
1974 BMW 3.0cs
2000 BMW 323it
2001 BMW 325ci
1991 Miata
Deane

Post by Deane »

Michael,

-10 amps is about what a running car will draw without headlamps on. This means to me that your generator isn't charging at all. Your battery voltage during charging should be almost 14 volts. Sounds like you've got either a dead generator, or regulator.
Deane
'67 330GTS (gone but not forgotten)
Michael Greenspan

Thanks to you both - I will do the regulator and the generator. Michael
josh

Re: Do both.

Post by josh »

Charlie_Dodge wrote:I had my alternator rebuilt by Eddie Witkum at North Shore Auto Electric in Danvers, MA. He has a great reputation among the vintage car garages in the area and was highly recommended by Michael at Glynn Motorsports.
Do you happen to have a phone number for them?

--Josh
--

1966 Fiat 1500 Cabriolet
1967 Fiat Dino Spider
http://www.hitchhiker.org/fiat/
Michael Greenspan

Just pulled the generator and regulator and discovered that one of the generators soldered connections on the lug strip is simply not there and the wire from the generator is sitting up in the middle of nothing. I think it must have been going for a while, intermittently making connection - that's why the ammeter bounced all over the place at highway speeds and finally vibrated off. If a new solder joint fixes it all I have to do is get the regulator back on at the bottom of the fuse block board and now I just have to wonder why did they put some of the wires on the back of the board? Michael