Seatbelt anchors

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Ade Maritz

Seatbelt anchors

Post by Ade Maritz »

Grief, but those bits are beautifully made .... especially considering Doran just had some bits of cardboard to work from! Makes me really, really wish they had a branch near Pretoria.
Look after that friend of yours, Tom - he's literally worth his weight in gold! ;)
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Ade,

Mike has been a invaluable help with those seatbelt anchors, but I warned him about doing too good of a job because of all the other projects I'll have lined up for him and his shop!

Tom
Knox

Anchors received v. hacksaw, vise & hammer

Post by Knox »

From the log:
--I'm almost embarrassed to think of what I could have made with a hacksaw, a hammer, and a bench vise!

You don't give yourself enough credit Tom. I suspect it'd be very close to what Ferrari's shop would have come up with at the time.
mikemeade

Post by mikemeade »

Tom,
I have been watching the seatbelt thread and I was curious as the the reason for the bend in the bottom of the seatbelt mounting plate. Wouldn't it just be easier and cleaner to mount a flat plate against the side of the sill? Just curious,
Mike
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Mike,

There is a small boxed section that runs along the length of the rocker that we used to weld to. Having this makes the anchor stonger considering the sheet metal the previous owner used to repair the rocker was not very thick. With the carpeting installed, we shouldn't see a thing.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Knox, it's just that Mr. Sewell's brackets can't look any better!

Tom
wilmesj

Post by wilmesj »

tyang wrote:Hi Ade,

Mike has been a invaluable help with those seatbelt anchors, but I warned him about doing too good of a job because of all the other projects I'll have lined up for him and his shop!

Tom
Seems to me that there was still some work to be done on the front grille ;-)
tyang

Post by tyang »

You read my mind! The grille is the next big project. Stay tuned!

Tom
cak

Re: Anchors received v. hacksaw, vise & hammer

Post by cak »

Knox wrote:From the log:
--I'm almost embarrassed to think of what I could have made with a hacksaw, a hammer, and a bench vise!

You don't give yourself enough credit Tom. I suspect it'd be very close to what Ferrari's shop would have come up with at the time.
Indeed. The "tall man kit" that's in 9161 is a perfect example. The original owner is about 6'6, and ordered the front seat to be moved back about 2". The factory cut up, folded and pop-riveted an extenstion to the stock seat belt mounting hump in the floor pan, and bent over the tabs on the seat rails where the bolts hold it in place.

Very, very crude work. But it's under the carpeting, and it made the customer happy, so who cares?
Yale

Post by Yale »

I had heard that often the factory guys at Ferrari didn't do this sort of thing but sent any "options" out "to some guys down the block" to take care of. Hence quite a quality variation on after the fact alterations. Best, Yale
cak

Post by cak »

That makes a certain amount of sense, since the factory guys didn't do the body work on the passenger cars...