Fispa electric pump problems

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

John Vardanian

Fispa electric pump problems

Post by John Vardanian »

Anyone know of a good shop for servicing these pumps? Thank you.

john
PF Coupe
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

John, what is the problem? If it just cleaning the points - that is easy. If it is the diaphram then a good Ferrari shop can handle it. These are very expensive to have rebuilt. The Bendix/Faucet pumps like on the Daytona's are $60 or so.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Jimmy,

I think the winding is burnt. I found it over the weekend just sitting in its usual place but not connected to anything. A modern pump has been doing the work. I removed the Fispa to be looked at later. It didn't respond when connected to 12 Volts.

I am so glad they didn't take it out of the car and lose it.

john
PF Coupe
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

John, take the plastic cover off and connect your 12V directly to the wire that leads to coil winding; it is soldered to a lug on the point block. If still no action then the coil is open, if it sparks and no motion on the shaft then it's shorted.
These coils are not usually available as service parts. So the usual bone yard guys would be your only possible source.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

I wonder if it can be rewound by a motor shop?
PF Coupe
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

Having the coil rewound could be an option, but finding a company to do this may be difficult. Take the coil out of the housing and take a close look at it and see if there is anything obvious - like a broken wire or visable short to the housing etc. Finding a junker core for a couple of hundred may be another choice, as finding a good Fispa could cost much more.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks for all who provided advice. The pump is now working.

I had to wash and lubricate the plunger and clean the contact points. That is all it needed.

john
PF Coupe