Becker Mexico circa 1970's radio wiring

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

DrewA

Becker Mexico circa 1970's radio wiring

Post by DrewA »

I just purchased a period correct Becker Mexico for my 1973 Daytona. It has the head/radio unit and amplifier. I can see that you plug the left and right speaker wires into the indicated spots on the amplifier. The amplifier has two spots to plug in the positive wiring. I assume it does not make a difference as examining it from the inside they appear to be wired together. My confusion arises as ther is a seperate wire coming from the radio. Do you just run the positive wire to the + marking at the amplifier and negative to the ground? What about the additional wire coming from the radio.

I realize this sounds confusing but if you have been there before I would appreciate any help you could give me. I have been unable to find a suitable explanation of the wiring on the internet.

Appreciate any help.

Drew Altemara
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Drew,

Does the radio have any provision for an automatic antenna lead? Is 1973 too early for this feature? I'm not clear on what you are describing, but this might be something you might consider. Can you bench test the radio? A wiring diagram of the radio would explain all of this, and I'm sure you can find one of those somewhere. Good luck!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
DrewA

Post by DrewA »

I'm thinking it might be the automatic antenna lead also. I did bench test it. When I powered up the amp/radio by grounding the unit to the negative wire and plugging in the positive wire I can get it to function. However I have to ground out out this additional wire it turns on a green light. I don't think this is the stereo light.

I looked lick heck last all over the internet for a schematic. Finally posted the question on a Becker site and here, hoping someone had run across this before as these radios are fairly common on older Ferraris.

Thanks for your reply.

Drew Altemara
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

Hello, Drew.

I hope that this picture helps:

--Matt
1967 330 GT 2+2 #9453
DrewA

Post by DrewA »

Thanks Matt that does help although my unit is a bit older.

I was able to talk to the people at Becker NA. Very helpful. Turns out the single wire running from the radio that I thought was the antenna acutating wire is actually where the power goes to. Then you ground the negative to the chassis. The two spade terminals with the + are for the power antenna.
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

Some of the Beckers used a second wire for the dial lamp so it can be dimmed with the dash lamps. Bench test it and mark everything so the vehicle installation does not require any additional guesses.
wspeer

Post by wspeer »

i have scanned in my wiring diagram from my becker mexico that i have in my dino. it is too large to post here with any detail. please feel free to send me an email and i will send the scans.

wspeer@wt.net