Need advice on 246gts starter/flywheel alignment

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

bwp24779

Need advice on 246gts starter/flywheel alignment

Post by bwp24779 »

Last year I had my engine rebuilt. Not long after my starter went out or so we thought. Since rebuilding the starter we could not get the drive to mesh with the flywheel. After checking and even rebuilding the starter again the problem persisted. We then had another starter sent in and still the same thing. So, what could be causing this problem? Was the flywheel somehow installed wrong? Is there a spacer or shim missing? Please help we are stumped!
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

My little 1960 Fiat 500 actually has shims for the starter motor. Without the shims the starter tends to bind. Does your parts manual indicate any?

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
bwp24779

Shims

Post by bwp24779 »

The parts manual, albeit not a great piece of literature, does not show shims where tha starter is concerned. If fact it is almost impossible to shim the starter because it fits into a hole machined into the engine housing.
Stephanm

Post by Stephanm »

I have never seen a shim for a 246 starter. The flywheel can only go on one way and there are no shims that would go between it and the crankshaft. Make sure that you are getting full amperage to the starter, maybe the super-long cable from the battery is bad.
330Jim

Post by 330Jim »

You may want to check the ring gear on the flywheel. If it was replaced when the work was done on your engine it may be in backwards. Typically one side is chamfered to ease the engagement of the starter, (note I have not seen a 246 ring gear). If the non chamfered side is towards the starter it will be tough to get it to mesh correctly. Generally it makes it hard to start the car because the gear on the starter bounces off the ring gear on the flywheel.

Cheers Jim
66 330GT 2+2