source for spark plug wires?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

fuiszt

source for spark plug wires?

Post by fuiszt »

Anyone have any suggestions for new wires (330gt) (ideally correct or at least correct-looking)? always something to do....
Car back today with fixed brakes. Apparently a previously installed master cylinder had been put back in without a boot over the end, and this had lead to some sticking etc.
64 330gt 2+2 #6413
330GT

Post by 330GT »

Go to most any good auto parts store and get Packard 440 wire. About 40' if I remember will do a 330 GT.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
andrew

Post by andrew »

I got my Packard 440 wire (7mm) from Restoration Supply Co. (www.restorationstuff.com) for .70/ft. They're really helpful folks and they also have a nice assortment of boots and Rajah terminals. Do a search of the forum for a really informative thread on the completion of this task.
'64 330 America s/n 5109
fuiszt

Post by fuiszt »

Thanks as always...
64 330gt 2+2 #6413
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

If you choose to use the correct terminals with rubber boots, solder the terminals to the wire for the best longest lasting connection. Lube the wires with silicone spray as you pull then thru the tubes. Do not use WD 40 as it may soften the wires and make pulling the last wires very difficult. Jim
512boxer

Post by 512boxer »

Just went through this with my 512BB, had been fighting with a brand new $450 Cavis set and the extenders for months, I sent them to http://www.kingsborne.com and they made me a custom copper core set with Porsche type Beru screw on extenders, they also put a special heat shielding that looks nice in black on them, all this for $150 vs for instance wanted over $550 for the same type of set up.

Their opinion of the factory wires is they are poor quality and they need the silicone covering on them to prevent them from burning up in a short period.

They can custom make you set any way you like for instance if you want to use the factory extenders, these IMO are a very weak link for the ignition system and prone to shorting and misfire but I am sure their wires alone with factory extenders would work better than the factory Cavis type wires, as I said I removed the factory set up of $450 in wires and $200 in extenders for a more reliable setup for $150.

They were also nice to deal with, they made my custom set the day my OE wires arrived for a pattern and shipped them out the same day as well.
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

Packard 440, period. I would solder all connections and do a resistance check before fireup. (From inside terminal of the distributor cap to spark plug end)

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
512boxer

Post by 512boxer »

The problem with making your own wires is the crimp for the terminals, even with soldering them. 3 of the OE Cavis wires I had were bad and I needed to make a longer coil wire as well, I purchased a very expensive crimping tool to repair these wires and make the new coil wire and the terminals would still pull off from the wires if they stuck in the dist cap.

In addition my wires tested fine for continuity tests but under load they would short out, making your own wires would seem fine IMO to save a few bucks and you have the time for an old Ford or Packard but they are not a high performance Ferrari motor with iffy eletrics to begin with, having a properly tested and machine crimped custom set is one less item to have fail or give problems.
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

I assume the Cavis wires are carbon type? I have never seen them. The Packard 440 wires are solid metal wire strands and won't cut out if properly soldered. My problem was in the distributor cap with the pin not making good contact into the wire itself.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
512boxer

Post by 512boxer »

Yes, they were the carbon type, replaced with solid strand core as well which was used on early BBs.The cap on the BBs have a regular plug terminal not the screw in type.

Sounds like the solid core Packard wires should work well though with the screw in type cap.