spring sizes

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

andrew

spring sizes

Post by andrew »

I’ve been steadily undoing the modifications to my car in efforts to return it to largely stock condition. One modification that was made was the substitution of both front and rear coil springs, resulting in a lowered car. Although the job was done well, and even looks very good, I’d like to return the car to its original height in order to be able to drive without the constant threat of seeing my expensive, new ANSA exhaust in the rearview mirror.

I believe I have the original springs, but would appreciate it if someone could confirm this for me. As for the springs I have, the tall and skinny ones (rears) read: 538U/600384 Kg 200 fey 0,90 (both springs have the same markings). The fat and short ones (fronts) read: 508E/6400 Y6Kg535 fey 0,214 (both are the same, with the exception that one reads “0,216” rather than 0,214). For what it’s worth, the rear springs appear to be the same as for the 330GTs (538U/600384).

Also, I’m curious to know what ride height differences I can expect if I re-mount the original springs. Right now, the distance from the center of the hub to the lowest portion of the wheel cut out in the front is 13.5 inches (34.3cm). In the rear it is 14.5 inches (36.83cm). I read in another post on here that some had between 13.5 and 14.5 inches in the front, and 16.5 inches in the rear. Based on this, it would appear that only the rear will be raised, but I’m doubtful given how low my front end is at the moment.

The springs that are on the car now show sizes of: 325X10 and 95X12.

For your reference, here are some photos of the springs, after beadblasting and before re-painting:

Thanks for the help.
'64 330 America s/n 5109
andrew

Post by andrew »

Not even a nibble, huh?

Ok, how about a more simple question: For those who believe they have the original springs on their 250 GTEs/330 Americas, can you please tell me the distance from the center of the hub to the lowest portion of the wheel cut out, both front and rear. I can infer the rest from there and make a more informed assessment.

Thank you.
'64 330 America s/n 5109
Yale

Post by Yale »

When Tom and I visited Shaunessey's den on iniquity he had stacks of springs, (amoungst stacks of just about everything). His quote was, "I don't know what they're too, I don't know what they're for, I don't know how to make any money out of them. If someone knows what they want and can come here and get them...otherwise, (and I paraphrase here) it's just a pile of metal to me."

Yale (reporting from the front)
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

Andrew,

I'd measure my clearances on the GTE for you but.....my motor is still out! Parts are still marinating at the machine shop.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Andrew,

Sorry i haven't responded, but I've been very busy trying to post my experiences in Monterey.

I did not take notes on what my springs said when I had them out, but I can certainly measure my ride heights the next time I'm up at my house where the car lives. Keep reminding me!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
JonBrent

Post by JonBrent »

Hi Andrew,

Sorry, just noticed this thread. Well, I just looked at the springs from the rear of 7537, and they do not have any engraving on them at all. One has '0506' written on one end in grease pencil, and both have a yellow paint splotch a third of the way down the springs.

Each stands 16" high, has 4" outside diameter, 10 turns (if I'm counting right) and a 0.38" dia material. My front springs are still in the car, so I can't help with those.

The 538U 600384 is the part number for the 330GT 2+2 rear shock spring, per the S1 & S2 spare parts manuals. The fronts are listed as 571 640278, so you may have to do some digging in other parts manuals to know for sure, unless someone else has their original fronts out of the car.

Thanks again to Kerry for making these available for us.

Hope this helps,
Jon
Michael Greenspan

Post by Michael Greenspan »

Sorry to have taken so long to get to the garage. I bought NOS springs from another member of this site and I just checked them - I have no rear coil springs - but I do have the front coils and the rear leafs.

The front springs have no markings but the very worn oak tag labels wired to them say "640278" and the springs have the same number of coils shown in your picture with a diameter of about 4 inches and a length of 13.25 inches - BTW they cost $53.68 in 1980.

The rear leafs tag says "508E600499" 1980 with a price fo $290.00 !!!

Michael - 330 America 4969
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Andrew,

I quickly measured from the ground to the top of the fender lip. 27-1/4 inches rear and 26-3/4 front. After re-reading your request, I see you want the measurement from hub to fender, and can do that the next time I see the car. Sorry!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

One more bit, when I wanted to stiffen my Series II I found that old Queen springs were exactly the solution, a bit stiffer and a bit taller. Knowing the development at the margin that characterized the modernization of this entire series of cars, i would suspect with each increment of additional front end weight the factory added a bit of a turn, all in the same bucket dimension and thus same outside diameter. If my theory is correct there is a near linear relationship (steady increase) with each varient, largely interchangable (but of course with differing ride heights and stiffness old vs new springs within a given model)
andrew

Post by andrew »

Thanks to everyone for the valuable information.

My rear springs have the same measurements as Jon Brent's and my fronts have the same measurements as Michael Greenspan's. For those following along, I also measured my car from the ground (rather than from the hub), to compare to Tom's recent measurements: mine is 25.5 inches in the front (versus Tom's 26.75) and 25.75 rear (versus Tom's 27.25). Based on all of this information, I'm now reasonably confident what the re-installation of the old springs will do, but I'll post the actual results after I have swapped them out.

In the meantime, should anyone measure their original 250 GTEs/330 Americas from the hub to the lowest portion of the wheel cut out, I'd be interested in knowing the values.

Also, I find Michael Bayer's hypothesis with regard to spring evolution to make good sense.
'64 330 America s/n 5109
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

One further thought, Ollie Ash added shims to the bottom of the springs within the front suspension buckets to adjust height of his SWB depending on the race course particulars; he machined them out of flat aluminum stock, had several thickneses. Several years ago I asked Tom Tjaarda (who designed the car) about the Series II pitch, as some of the pictues show the cars nose lower than tail. Tom told Buddy and me that he intended the car to sit dead level using the toe rail just above the jack holes as reference points. Michael Bayer #9727+ # 14947the
andrew

Post by andrew »

After installing the original springs, I thought I would post the results, for anyone who might want to know for reference.

The front measurements are now 15.5 inches (from center of hub to lowest part of the wheel cut out) and 27.25 inches (from the ground to lowest part of wheel cut out). The rear measurements are now 14.75 inches (from center of hub to lowest part of the wheel cut out) and 26.25 inches (from the ground to lowest part of wheel cut out). In spite of these relatively modest changes (2 inches front, .25 inches rear), the car looks better and much more "proper." Oh, and it drives nicely too... :)
'64 330 America s/n 5109