I Bought a FERRARI 250 GTE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

william wrote:Luke, went home for lunch and yes the wipers work well, thank you.

I'm not sure but the carbs may need adjusted. First the car does not want to Idle very well second it is starting to back fire a little. and third I think it is about out of gas. When I drove the car home yesterday after meeting the shipper the car kept dying on me I realized I had the manual chock on and I dont remember but I may have had the autflux on. All I know was that I was happy to have my Ferrari. Now when I start the car cold I should pull the autflux should I leave it pulled out as I drive the car? or push it in.

Car really sounds great however just started to backfire last night in my driveway very low on fuel.

is my car a four speed? only could find 4 foward gears?

Thanks Sam Yes I do have a smile.

Really I do know somethings about cars!!!

Thanks
William...first, Congratulations!

I've got an early 330 2+2, very similar mechanically to a GTE in a lot of ways.

On starting from cold, this is my particular procedure:

A. Adequate gas! Opinions vary on what grade and additives to use.

B. Turn key to first stop, switch on Autoflux (electric fuel pump) until it stops ticking. I turn mine off then because its drawing battery power.
Opinions also vary on Autoflux use...some people leave it on all the time, I don't use it after my car is running steadily or unless I have a vaporlock incident.

C. Open the manual choke 3/4" or so, pump the gas one or two times, and crank. Slowly close the choke over 2-3 minutes as the idle smooths out. Some light popping through the carbs is apparently normal until the engine is warm.

D. I wait until the water temp is a nick above 140F before getting underway, and I don't exceed 3K RPM until the oil temp is off the peg.

From my experience and the accounts of other V12 owners, these cars take about 15 minutes of easy driving warmup before they are ready to run.

Your car has an electric overdrive for 5th. The control for it is the short stalk on the right hand side of the steering column. On my car, it's down to engage, up to disengage. Always disengage the clutch when shifting in and out of overdrive.

Your carbs may need an adjustment, but try proper starting and warmup procedures first. Check the owner's manual; if you don't have one, get a copy on CD off ebay.

I had my carburetors rebuilt. My car came from Northern Cal. to Texas and I suspect the cooler air there and resulting denser fuel/air mixture masked a need that showed up here in very hot and humid weather.
Current: 1983 308 GTS
R.I.P: 330 2+2 s/n 5409
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi WIlliam,

You're getting good advice here, but one thing to consider is Francois advises not to use the chokes because sometimes they don't return to the completely open position if they're not adjusted correctly causing rich running when warm. I've found a few minutes of running will warm the engine enough to idle without using the choke.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
william

Post by william »

Wow thanks for all the information Bluecat after work I'll gas the car up. Next problem is what grade of fuel. The enging was rebuilt in the mid 90's any thoughts if I should add lead.

Thanks Tom I'll try both methods

please be prepared for some rather elementary questions

Thanks
William
1979 Avanti s/n Rqb-3016
1962 GTE s/n 3447
1960 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider 1495*09775
sjvalin

Post by sjvalin »

william wrote:Next problem is what grade of fuel. The enging was rebuilt in the mid 90's any thoughts if I should add lead.
William,

To be safe, I would use premium. Then after you've had the car a while and are familiar with how it drives, try a tank of mid octane and see how that works. Then try the cheap stuff if the mid worked. Some people use the cheap stuff with good results. My Euro Daytona didn't like the cheap stuff, but the mid-grade works fine. Ferrari typically didn't use a very high compression ratio in the vintage road cars. The other thing that is common is to dump a bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil into the gas tank before filling it up. Supposedly helps with upper cylinder lubrication. Maybe it's an old wives tail, but it doesn't appear to have any negative effects!

You can also find an owners manual here:
http://www.ferraridatabase.com in the downloads section.

Congrats!

-steve
1968 365GT2+2 11649 ; 1971 365GTB/4 14201 ; 1985 308GTS QV 56585
william

Post by william »

Thank you steve for the advise and the link.
William
1979 Avanti s/n Rqb-3016
1962 GTE s/n 3447
owen

Post by owen »

Congratulations on the car!

Mine was starting to backfire a little after a few days of fairly sedate driving around town. I took it out on the highway to run it at speed for a while. Seemed to clear things up. Plus - what a great line if you get pulled over. "You see officer, I have to drive it like this.......

Have fun!
Owen
'65 330 GT 2+2 #5767
'58 Fiat 1200 TV
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

owen has done an Italian tune up...I also do this from time to time.

Regarding fuel and additives, I'm using mid grade (91 0ctane) Mobil with one ounce of Red Line lead substitute and four ounces of MM oil per ten gallons. I added a quart of MM oil into my last oil and filter change.

My 330 starts and runs superb, but is somewhat harder to start in sub 45F temperatures.
Current: 1983 308 GTS
R.I.P: 330 2+2 s/n 5409
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

William,

Congratulations! Nice looking car.

By the questions you are asking, it sounds like you jumped into vintage Ferraris quickly. Can you share your search and purchase saga with us?

Regards,

Art S.

PS. John V, I noticed that you are no longer listing the Lusso below your name. Any significance?
1965 330 2+2 series 2 7919
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

William,

I am quite shy about using the choke. I may use it to help in starting the car but once it fires I like to push the choke home and control the throtltle by foot. The motor does take its time in warming up so I am quite careful in keeping the revs down until fully warm and the oil temp needle off the peg. The time you spend in allowing a proper warm up is well worth it in the long run. My overdrive engages when you push the stalk toward the dash.

Enjoy discovering your GTE. There is a lot of car to learn about and it is all part of the fun.

Can you post any photos?

Regards,

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
Michael Greenspan

Post by Michael Greenspan »

Hi William - The advice I got after the engine was rebuilt is almost exactly what Lukek has written - when cold, engage the electric fuel pump until the clicking stops (should be rapid ticks then slowing and finally stops) shut the electric fuel pump. Sometimes the pump only does a couple of clicks - if so, I generally shut it then start again - it really should have a run of clicks. Then pump the gas six or so times and start (I find that six is not always enough - depends on how long its been since the last time). When the car is warm, just simply floor the gas pedal and start. I have had the vapor lock issue crop up in a NYC garage on a 95 degree day until I remembered about the electric fuel pump - turned it on and the car started right up. Finally, the Webers also like to spit, especially when cold.

And, of course, congrats and happy driving.

Michael - 330 America 4969
lukek

Post by lukek »

The car has 4 speeds and an electric overdrive. When in fourth, depress the clutch and move the level on the right hand side of the steering column (looks like a turn signal lever). Out with the clutch, and you should be in OD ("5th"). Unless you have Tom's luck.....and the electics conspire against you (I think the Sunbeam in his garage actually infected the Ferrari with an electrical cold).

If you are having trouble signing up at owners.ferrari.com, send me an e-mail, and I will send you the pdf file. You can even request it in French, Italian, or English. Manual tells all....
:)
Ex 1963 Ferrari 250 GTE, 99 Modena 360, 11 Maserati QPorte S, 08 merc gl550, 67 Cadillac Coupe DeVille Convertible, 2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, 2006 MV Agusta Brutale S, 1991 Ducati 907i.e.
william

Post by william »

Wow, thanks everyone

Luke I'm having trouble with the download I'll email you.
Next will be replacing all the fluids and rear end grease etc. Does the owners manual give capacities?

Art, I will put togther a story and photos soon.

I really apperciate everyones input and support.

If anyone is interested in talking to me about the car and giving me advise from changing the oil to etc.....

please PM me a phone number and I'll call you I have so many questions.

Thanks

william
William
1979 Avanti s/n Rqb-3016
1962 GTE s/n 3447
eve23

Post by eve23 »

congrats william
its a great car i have the same one in the same colors....
i find mine likes the expensive stuff...premium....also a little MMoil doesnt hurt...and lead additive is liked as well....it likes the fall weather and runs the best in this season....i use the choke at first start, then after its warm i push it in....it likes to go on the hwy for a blow out .....unfortunately it sits under a cover a lot ......

it was a hit at a ferrari show being the only vintage with all the 360's and 355's.....everyone came over and said this was the real ferrari...nice....
i just picked up a big bad '69 AMX....so it's going to be neglected a little more....but its coming out tomorrow 8am for a run to the beach.....then some work on the 246 dino ...and they will be parked again for a while....
enjoy the car and don't get bitten by the bug and buy anymore.....
moral of the story...one at a time......its a very bad disease to catch.....
good luck....drive it........
eddie
(also restoring a 62 maser vignale spyder and a 67 lambo 400GT)
oh....and if anyone knows of any.... im looking for a bizzarini 5300...; )
william

Post by william »

Thanks eve23,

I love the car. I would love to see the 69' AMX.

William
William
1979 Avanti s/n Rqb-3016
1962 GTE s/n 3447