New 4HL owner

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

owen

New 4HL owner

Post by owen »

Hi everyone,

I bought the 330 GT 4HL from RPM that Tom mentioned on the site back in early July. Took delivery about 2 weeks ago and have been able to drive it just about every day. It's been 95+ degrees here in Orlando, and the car is black on black - but if I had any sense I probably wouldn't own the car in the first place.

Car is great. Feels much more solid and substantial than I expected. Steering and clutch require some effort (my wife drove it the day it arrived and decided it was too much work) but everything feels tight. Took it out on a deserted tollway last Sat morning for an "Italian tune up." Car feels even better at speed and the sound of these engines winding out makes it worth the price of admission.

Steve at RPM described it as "cosmetically tired," which was very accurate. Very solid, straight body with some rubbed-through or cracked paint and interior reupholstered in vinyl at some point. Can live with that - I don't have to be paranoid about parking dings and my 4 and 7 year old boys will be regular passengers.

I do need to get seat belts in the rear for the kids and should probably replace the exhaust and add auxillary cooling fans, but mechanically the car seems to be fine as is.

I've been a fan of this site for quite a while and met Tom at his party in Monterey last year, about the time I got serious about finding a car. I know topic of favorite car has been discussed to death but.... initially leaned towards GTE (250 heritage, vintage looks) but gradually shifted to looking for a 330 as a more practical (obviously losing touch with reality!) driver. Even grew to like and seek out 4HL! What's funny is that normal people I meet, that is the non Ferrari obsessed, love the way it looks.

Thanks to Tom for his help with my purchase and thanks to everyone else for your posts. Site has been invaluable for learning about vintage V12s and helping me take the leap.
Owen
'65 330 GT 2+2 #5767
'58 Fiat 1200 TV
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

Owen:

Congrats on getting your car and welcome to the four-headlight club.
Current: 1983 308 GTS
R.I.P: 330 2+2 s/n 5409
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Congrats Owen. I personally prefer the 4HL over the 2HL. The 4HL is sexier.

john
PF Coupe
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

John Vardanian wrote:Congrats Owen. I personally prefer the 4HL over the 2HL. The 4HL is sexier.

john
This is a quote from a man who knows his cars.
Current: 1983 308 GTS
R.I.P: 330 2+2 s/n 5409
william

Post by william »

Congratulations Owen!!!

William
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

Congratulations Owen!

Art S.
1965 330 2+2 series 2 7919
steve lapp

new 330

Post by steve lapp »

Hi Owen:

Glad the 4HL has won you over, it did me too (also fit cheque book). I have kids 5 and 7 and have been exploring the seat belt issue since i got the car road going in June. I took the entire back seat and parcel shelf out to see how a shoulde rlap belt can be fitted. It will be necessary to drill three holes inthe body for each belt, but it can be done with clearance on the outside for the wrench, washer and nut. On the back shelf of my car there are two depressions for speakers, which can be used to hold the belt reel mechanism, and I have some old ones that are from a Toyota tercel that will fit. (ya, ya, I know it is a tercel).

Note that statistically it is quite important to have shoulder belt, lap belts only in the rear result in terrible injuries to children. Also use a modern betl webbing material, as these are designed to stretch and reduce the G loading on the person, thus reducing the potential for organ damage.

backto the fun stuff - I took my car out on a local road racing track about three weeks ago and had a blast, it was a tight course but I had much fun - and nothing broke. I found I get axle tramp while accelerating very hard off the line - so some new bushings and shocks are in order probably. But with stock Yokahama street tires and a very tired old car, I turned some respectable numbers relative to the miatas, 280z's and such. Yes, the sound of the engine is delicious. Mine is burning a litre of oil about every 350 miles, but I can live with that.

Have fun, cool fall weather should offer some nice 330 days.

cheers
Steve Lapp
Ontario Canada
2013 Nissan Leaf, 2002 Prius, 56 Healey 100-4, 74 BMW 2002, 330 GT 2+2 s/n 6241, 54 Dodge M152 (listed by decreasing fuel economy)
400iGuy

Post by 400iGuy »

Owen, Great looking car. Hope to see you around town

Al - Orlando :D
400iGuy
1984 400iA 50605 Sera Blu/Tan
william

Post by william »

Owen how about a pic?
William
1979 Avanti s/n Rqb-3016
1962 GTE s/n 3447
1960 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider 1495*09775
owen

Post by owen »

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Agree with John re: 4HL looks. By the way, my first ride in a V12 was in the late 70s in a PF coupe. A guy in a nearby small town in Louisiana was asking $6,500 - about 10 times my college student car budget. Interior was worn and front bodywork had some minor damage but I still remember the engine sound and him breaking the tires loose in each gear on the wet road in the dark. Would love to know what happened to that car.

Steve - Absolutely agree about need for shoulder belts. In fact, I only have lap belts in the front now and plan to upgrade. My car has the same mounting points below the rear quarter windows that Tom Y used in his car for the front shoulder belts. I even thought about looking for 4 point racing-type harnesses for the kids in the rear. I haven't checked out the underlying structure of the rear compartment yet, so thanks for the tip.

I'll post a photo or two as soon as I figure out how.
Owen
'65 330 GT 2+2 #5767
'58 Fiat 1200 TV
tyang

Post by tyang »

Here are a couple:

I took more pictures of Owen's car when I inspected it for him back in July:
http://www.tomyang.net/cars/ferrari497.htm
'63 330 America #5053
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

I just noticed the assure Lusso in the background of the picture. I remember Steve's father offering me that car to me for $75k when I bought my 330. It was chocolate brown then. In fact I have a picture of it together with mine sitting on my desk.

I kind of liked its old dilapidated look with the 'ugly' brown color and the SNAP exhaust extractors.

I wish I had the money back then.

Art S.
1965 330 2+2 series 2 7919
owen

Post by owen »

Thanks for posting the photos Tom.

As you noted in earlier post, the car starts immediately every time. Has aftermarket Mallory electronic coils and carbs are Weber 40DFI2 (or maybe 40DF12?).

Well....to be completely accurate, the only time it didn't start was upon delivery. To which my wife commented "welcome to Ferrari ownership." Turned out to be minor. I called Steve and he said he'd once had the same problem and found a loose connection for the coils at the fuse box. He cleaned up and fixed at that time but suggested I check it out. Sure enough, I messed with connection a bit and heard the coils start to "sing" and no problem since.

Tom didn't think the carbs were original. Doesn't appear to be a problem as far as performance but does anyone know more about where they may come from?
Owen
'65 330 GT 2+2 #5767
'58 Fiat 1200 TV
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

That is a nice color on the door panels. Is that the remaining original interior? Nice color.

john
PF Coupe
owen

Post by owen »

I'll have to check to see if the door panels are original- if so, they should be leather, right?

I think the original exterior color may have been maroon. I see traces where the black is rubbed thru, in the trunk, etc.
Owen
'65 330 GT 2+2 #5767
'58 Fiat 1200 TV