Congratulations on your Australia Adventure !!!

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

mcmichael

Congratulations on your Australia Adventure !!!

Post by mcmichael »

Go for it, Tom! I for one will look forward to reading about your experiences in Australia, whether Ferrari-related, traveling, or just(!) life. This may sound like heresy on this site, but your wife and daughter are far more important than any car or web site.

Ummm. I just wish I lived close enough to volunteer to keep your 330 America in tune by taking it out for a drive every few weeks…

Michael McClure
'67 330 GTC #10007
greg246

Post by greg246 »

:D Good move Tom! Plenty of Ferrari nuts down this part of the world. Would be happy to show you round

Greg
246GTS
365GT4/bb
enio45

Australia

Post by enio45 »

Great move tom....i lived in Sydney and Melboune for 4 yrs from 95-99. The best place i have ever been to.

I'll send you a name of a ferrari guy north of sydney who has a 330 GT, Daytona and a 355. Boy you are going to have the time of your life..and what a country and the BEST people. I may be visiting in the next yr to catch up with old friends and the like, let us know where your at!!
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS
afwrench

Post by afwrench »

When we visited you spoke about the possibilty of doing this ,so good for you. Im sure Im not the only one who selfishly would like the site to stay the same but if your new adventure is as entertaining for us as your Ferrari journey has been Im sure we will all take great pleasure in following you around the world. You are sure to find many car related topics to keep all of us happy. Congratulations. Regards Mike
72,365gtc4,14681,2007 599 GTB
tyang

Post by tyang »

Thanks for the support guys!

As much as many of you lived vicariously through me with my 330 America restoration, I hope you stay with me through my travels abroad. Ferraris will always be a part of my life, so I hope to seek out those enthusiasts when I'm down under. I'm also excited about the changes I'll make in my life when I return, but I'll save those challenges for when I get back!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
JAshburne

Post by JAshburne »

Tom

Congratulations on a bold move that you will never regret! All the best as you set your plan in motion and have a wonderful and fascinating trip with your family.

I of course will volunteer to help Michael keep your 330 America (and the Sunbeam for that matter!) properly exercised while you are gone. Just think how wonderful it will be when you return to not have to deal with any of those issues caused by the car not being driven regularly! :)

John
John Ashburne
1983 400i 5 speed, silver/black
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

Hi Tom,

I wish you well on your voyage. This site has a lot of momentum and I am glad to hear that you will be sharing your new experiences with all of us.

If you did not make the trip now, it would only be more difficult in the future.

Regards,

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
josh

Post by josh »

Hey Tom,

Well i'm jealous :) I had the good fortune to spend a week or so in sydney a few years ago, and it was really excellent. Friendly people, the exchange rate was favorable (dunno if that's still the case ;-P), and interestingly "different" from the usual.

I'm sure you and your family will have a great time. It takes a certain kind of fearlessness to be willing to drop everything (for a while, at least) for an adventure. You and your wife deserve a lot of credit for that!

Keep us posted on the details as they materialize, and congratulations!

--Josh
--

1966 Fiat 1500 Cabriolet
1967 Fiat Dino Spider
http://www.hitchhiker.org/fiat/
zac

Post by zac »

Congratulations Tom,

I too made the decision a few years back after my second child was born to take some time traveling and spend it with my children. After spending the first year of my first born working and traveling to build a successful business I realized the success I was achieving was not truly success. Monetary accomplishments and assets are so much easier to rebuild then the time lost by not being around or available. I applaud your decision and wish you the best of luck in your future ventures. By the way if you get a chance to go over and see you neighbors in New Zealand I would recommend it.

Zac
1970 365 gt 2+2 13137, 1997 550 Maranello, 1969 Lamborghini Miura S, 1973 365 GTB/4 Daytona
sam231

Post by sam231 »

Just remember they drive on the left! That's great news Tom. You and your family will have a wonderful time. Nice people and very liveable cities. Some great roads too. For the sheer thrill take a ride along the Great Ocean Road from Melbourne to Adelaide in winter when the tourists are gone. Fast and fun with spectacular scenery.
'72 365 GTC/4 # 14953; ex-owner 330 GT 2+2 # 8025 :>(
steve lapp

Post by steve lapp »

Tom:

Now you have the perfect excuse to buy a right hand drive 330 GT! Have a great trip.

cheers
Steve Lapp
Ontario Canada
2013 Nissan Leaf, 2002 Prius, 56 Healey 100-4, 74 BMW 2002, 330 GT 2+2 s/n 6241, 54 Dodge M152 (listed by decreasing fuel economy)
T308

Post by T308 »

How about a "2+2 Down Under" party at the 2006 Australian Grand Prix?

Congrats Tom. Enjoy the ride.

T308
fuiszt

Post by fuiszt »

Have a great time Tom!
64 330gt 2+2 #6413
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Excellent choice Tom. As one who leaves in the morning to take his kid to her first year in College (University of Oregon - Go Ducks!), I would vote to spend as much time with your daughter as possible. These guys grow up so fast and you will never regret time spent with them. Until they are teenagers, that is. Then you might have some doubts...

Anyway, work will still be there when you return and so will we.
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
tyang

Post by tyang »

You guys are really hitting the key points for why we're doing this, and it's great to have this support!

I hope you're all still there for me when it starts raining, we can't find a place to stay for the night so we hole up in the back of our station wagon, eating cold food, and wishing for a warm bed!

But seriously, I feel that even with a bad night like that, it will still be a good time because I'll be doing it with my family without a care in the world about where we have to be for 6 months!

Someone once said to me that from the second a kid is born, they'll be working towards their independence from their parents, and although it'll be a while before Ellie goes to college, the day she doesn't want to go on a trip with her parents is sooner. We're doing this trip now, while she has no choice!

For those wondering about a rough itinerary, We plan to go to Sydney in Mid December, stay for about two weeks. We'll buy a car there, (A used Ford Falcon Station Wagon?), and head out from there. Right now I'm thinking of staying south for the summer months until it cools off further north. I think I also have to avoid the rainy season up north as well, but am open to any suggestions to people more knowledgeable than me on this topic. We're planning on staying in Motels, and caravan parks along the way, but will also consider renting apartments in major cities if they're available. If anyone knows of a good inexpensive rental in Sydney for two weeks, let me know!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053