fuses

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

bill rose

fuses

Post by bill rose »

Hey guys ... I'm having difficulty finding a source for the bullet-style ceramic fuses that our cars require. Especially 15 amp and 30 amp. (No problem with 8 and 25 amp)

Any thoughts?
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

Any VW or possibly other German dealers should have the ceramic ones. Littlefuse makes the glass version with pointy ends that are available from most autoparts stores. Other than for concorse appearances the glass fuses are more reliable as they do not tend to corrode around the contact ends, and don't fall apart when handled. Always carry a spare assortment in the glovebox for an emergency! Jim
bill rose

Post by bill rose »

Thanks, Jim ...

I've tried that ... all Germany car dealers (Mercedes, BMW, Volks) carry 8, 16 & 25 amp fuses. Same with Pep-Boys, Kragen, etc. But nobody I've talked to (Ferrari dealers, mechanics included) have the 15 or 30 amp.

I know that I could probably cheat ... use a 16 for the 15 ... and a 25 for the 30. But ... being a purist (and concours person) I'm still looking for the proper ones. Certainly, if I can find them ... I'll buy plenty!

Bill
bill rose

Post by bill rose »

Tried TRutland also ... no go!
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

Bill, since the 25 & 30A fuses are not standards, try some of the off the road dune buggy places and VW hot rod & VW off road camper conversion places. These guys fit big high current driving lights and may carry the Euro style fuses in that amp range. The 25A euro fuses ( blue ceramic) are still being made, but as you have found out they are hard to find. Littlefuse, a US company, currently makes the 25A and 30A Euro styles in glass. Part#: GBC 25A, and GBC 30A are the ones that are available. Try the web. Jim
bill rose

Post by bill rose »

Thanks, Jimmy ... the part numbers for Littlefuse really helps. I went on their website, but couldn't find them. I'll try again.

Bill
enio45

Fuses

Post by enio45 »

Bill , what color are the 15 and 30's fuses. I'll check in Nov at the Novegro show here in italy for you.
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS
bill rose

Post by bill rose »

Spent some time on Littlefuse.com ... they have the usual 8, 16 & 25 amp fuses. No 30 amp. Someone told me about a glass torpedo replacement fuse ... that would fit into the same holder. Littlefuse doesn't show such an item ... any ideas?

I'll try the off-road idea.
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

Bill, the Littlefuse styles are the "glass torpedo" style, that is what they make for the Euro fuse replacement. The 16A is the closest to the 15A I guess. What model car are you using these on, as the 250's use a 16A max fuse size, and the 330's possibly 25A on A/C cars?
bill rose

Post by bill rose »

Hey, Enio ...

Thanks! That would be wonderful ... everyone here only has 5, 8, 16 & 25amp fuses ... even the specialty fuse houses. The colors are a problem however ... seems they are not uniform. The fuses that are in the 30Amp slots are BROWN ... but un-marked with it's amperage (so I'm guessing) However, there are also BROWN fuses (althoug ha touch lighter color) in the 15amp slots, that are properly marked. So ... I don't know what's going on. It would make some sense to put a BLUE 25apm fuse in the 30 slots ... but a 15 in the 30 slots? And certainly, I could use the current 16amp fuses in the 15 slots.

Anyway ... any input is appreciated.

Bill
bill rose

Post by bill rose »

Jimmy ... I have a 1969 USA 365GT2+2. The one with the airplane motor radiator fans!!

:-D
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

Bill, if your owners manual calls for 30A in the fan circuit then if you cannot find them try the 25A and if it blows then keep looking. 30A in any automotive application is really a heavy load for the wires to carry, and more than likely the wire may burn before the fuse blows. That is the way the British cars are designed ; a single 35A fuse for the whole car! Jim
Deane

Post by Deane »

Especially with the 25/30A fuses, it's important to polish the ends periodically to keep them very conductive... otherwise the fuse burns up when your fans have to run for a while.
Deane
'67 330GTS (gone but not forgotten)
Yale

Post by Yale »

Those two fans in the 365 2+2 draw 60amps. I was thinking of using those in my 330 until I heard that. At any rate the wiring, one would assume, (I know, I know), would be built to handle that. Yale
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
bill rose

Post by bill rose »

I had a close look at the Harrah's car (which was used in the R&T review 1969) ... that car shows 60amp fuses. However, I believe that Ferrari made some electrical changes before mine was produced in Dec 1969, since my fuse box has 30amp fuses in those same locations. They also made some changes involving the electric windows. The Harrah's car has electric vent (deflector) windows ... mine has manual. The switches are of a totally different construction, with 6 contatcs rather than 3. My understanding is that they went to a reverse polarity motor, which was better. Rather than the current going into the motor two ways, for up & down ... mine has the motor going up or down deopending on whether the current is + or -.

Deanne ... good advice!!