365 GT Springs

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

klv

365 GT Springs

Post by klv »

Hello from downunder.
Our 365 is currently going through a spring & damper change in time for the National Rally here in Perth, Australia in a couple of weeks time. Our local suspension guru has found an alternative to the self-levelling rear dampers, but the main question now lies in what specs the springs should be. Does anyone have information on what the standard spring rates and heights should be? Ideally we would like it a little lower for better times at the Rally track day too :)
Apologies if this subject has come up before, but a quick search through the archives didn't turn up the info.
Kelly La Velle (365GT2+2 #12009 + Lotus Elise + dull stuff)
Andrew Stevens (Alfa 1750 GTV)
P.S. - Thanks to Tom Yang for his part at Monterey - we really enjoyed meeting fellow owners and the rest of the fantastic weekend!
mark

Post by mark »

Hi Kelly:

It was nice to meet you and Andrew in Carmel this past August.

My car features an odd set up which seems to work well. In place of the load levelers it has a set of Koni dampners, same model as the other rears, with 250 gte springs. That is all I know, I have no way of verifying the source, it was a verbal description from the previous owner.

I can measure the diameter of the material if you like, unfortunately the
springs are installed so the free length is not possible.

Cheers

Mark
69 365 gt 2+2, 12659
98 M3, 02 Porsche 996
98 550 Maranello
mark

Post by mark »

Ok Kelly, I dug around in my prodigous file of notes. I had to use a press to reassemble the spring to the dampner. The spring required 600# of force to compress it to the point where the keeper could be installed.

It's not much but there seems to be not mention of the spring rates in any of the manuals that I have.....

Cheers

Mark
69 365 gt 2+2, 12659
98 M3, 02 Porsche 996
98 550 Maranello
klv

Post by klv »

Thanks for chasing this up for us Mark.
Our suspension guy has noted that the front springs that came out of the car were 'super soft', so I guess 35+ years of 'springing' have taken their toll...
He also mentioned that any replacement front springs need to be very precise with regards to outside diameter because of the way they mount. I guess if any of us manage to turn up the official figures for spring rates etc in the future it will be worth posting them here for reference.
Best regards from downunder

Kelly La Velle
Andrew Stevens
Kelly La Velle & Andrew Stevens