Driving on the correct side of the road

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Dr. Ian Levy

Post by Dr. Ian Levy »

Tom
I am very pleased to see that you are now driving a car with the steering wheel on the RIGHT position. Now you can understand how we Brits (this one especially) get regularly confused driving almost anywhere else in the world. Oz is not that easy to get to for a short break.
I read your updates with interest especially the one about my namesake who I understand has a GTC 4 also & hope you continue having a great time
Drive safe
Regards
Ian L
1972 365 GTC4 s/n 15989
http://www.ferrari365gtc4.co.uk/
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Ian,

I'm glad to see someone's interested in my expliots! I was afraid I would be boring everyone by talking about a Falcon Stationwagon!

Left side, LEFT SIDE!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
rpalmer

Post by rpalmer »

I did pretty well driving on the left side in Ireland... until one day when we were traveling a small, winding, hedge-lined, 1.5 car wide country road in the Burren. I came down a hill, around the next corner, and there was an oncoming vehicle RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME.

Naturally I dove for the right side of the road to avoid him...

-RP
330GT

Post by 330GT »

My problem in the UK was when I had to make a U-turn (usually in a car park entrance). I would swing to the right and go counter-clockwise, ending up on the wrong side of the entrance.

I also met someone on a single lane road and dove for the RH layby. However there was enough time (and a layby on the left side) that I was able to get the car where it belonged in time. I'm sure that the oncoming person thought that I was drunk.

The everyday driving is fine, it's the odd emergency that's scary as I know that I would go the wrong direction and compound the problem.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
Sean Bramhall

Post by Sean Bramhall »

330GT wrote:My problem in the UK was when I had to make a U-turn (usually in a car park entrance). I would swing to the right and go counter-clockwise, ending up on the wrong side of the entrance.

I also met someone on a single lane road and dove for the RH layby. However there was enough time (and a layby on the left side) that I was able to get the car where it belonged in time. I'm sure that the oncoming person thought that I was drunk.

The everyday driving is fine, it's the odd emergency that's scary as I know that I would go the wrong direction and compound the problem.
Us english don't have any problems driving on the CORRECT side of the the road, seeing as we invented the road, the wheel oh and the car then what happens the mericans decided to do the opposite to what the rest of the civilished world does (Austrailia) Tom has had to move half way accross the world to drive on the correct side of the road :D :D
How many Ferrari's do you have to collect to be a collector 64 330GT (6155), 90 Testerossa, Austin Healy 100-6 911 964RS a merc SL280,SL500 pagoda Morgan plus 4 Bentley S3 and Brooklands oh Wife say's I've got MAD CAR Dieseeeeeee
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

I was suprised at how quickly I adapted to the right hand drive on a trip to England, Ireland & Scotland. Now the traffic circles... those were another story!
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

My only problem with RHD is that the left side of the car is wide and the right side is narrow. Also, mulit-lane highways - right lane is the fast lane. Otherwise, driving fast on the wrong side of the road - what's not to like?

Regards,

Art S.

PS. Happy New Year!
1965 330 2+2 series 2 7919
rwills

Post by rwills »

I live between England, Russia and New Zealand so all this is quite something I'm confronted with on a regular basis. My biggest issues now are that I have 2 Left Hand Drive (LHD) cars in England (including my 250 PF). Having been in so many cars in so many countries my instincts when needing to avoid traffic etc are fine in a RHD car but in a LHD in England it becomes really scary. My instinct is to make a fast move to the right, much to the shock of oncoming traffic!

The other major pain is entering and exiting parking lots (car parks) with ticket machines in the UK when driving a LHD car. I now carry a trash (rubbish) collector in the car - you know the type, with the trigger on the handle and jaws at the other end (see http://www.hygienesuppliesdirect.com/pr ... 112-sub439). These avoid the need to clamber over the centre console to insert the ticket or credit card at the barriers. People invariably laugh their heads off when they see it used, either in the car or waiting behind me, but it is a very effective solution!

Roger
1959 Ferrari 250GT PF Coupe 1479GT
Sean Bramhall

Post by Sean Bramhall »

Thats s nice car collection
How many Ferrari's do you have to collect to be a collector 64 330GT (6155), 90 Testerossa, Austin Healy 100-6 911 964RS a merc SL280,SL500 pagoda Morgan plus 4 Bentley S3 and Brooklands oh Wife say's I've got MAD CAR Dieseeeeeee
rwills

Post by rwills »

Thanks Sean.

The 250 is in Tom's owners gallery if you want to see the story of it:

http://www.tomyang.net/cars/othercars/wills.htm

The Porsche (sorry to offend the Ferraristi with that word on this site) is a totally original first 500 RHD Touring that has only done 25,000 miles and is described by Porsche UK as the best Carrera RS in the world. A fantastic car.

The Mini was one of Paddy Hopkirk's main team works cars for the 1965 rally season - check out:

http://www.smithmaps.fsnet.co.uk/ebl56ctext.htm

The MGC I purchased at a charity auction a few years ago and turned it into a historic rally car and have competed in Le Jog, Classic Marathon, Winter Marathon, etc with. A lot of fun.

The others are toys, pure and simple! The Caterham weighs 480kg and has 250bhp at the wheels and is well known for thrashing 360 Challenge Stradales, 911 GT3 RSs etc. A load of fun. Although getting it to run under the increasingly strict noise rules is becoming a real nightmare.

Guy Allen, the well known UK motoring artist behind www.petrolgallery.co.uk put together some great artwork of my collection - I hope I can make this work..........

I also have a heap of other stuff too dull to mention but this is the fun stuff.

Regards,

Roger
Sean Bramhall

Post by Sean Bramhall »

rwills

Post by rwills »

Beautiful!
Dr. Ian Levy

Post by Dr. Ian Levy »

Roger
Great story about the rubbish picker in a left hand drive car & I really love your 250 PF Coupe.
Ian L

BTW How did we get on to you guys car collections?
1972 365 GTC4 s/n 15989
http://www.ferrari365gtc4.co.uk/
Sean Bramhall

Re: Driving on the correct side of the road

Post by Sean Bramhall »

Dr. Ian Levy wrote:Roger
Great story about the rubbish picker in a left hand drive car & I really love your 250 PF Coupe.
Ian L

BTW How did we get on to you guys car collections?
Nothing on telly (execpt big brother) nothing better to do
whturner

Right/wrong side of the road

Post by whturner »

Steering wheel on the right is merely a symptom related to circulating in the WRONG direction at intersections contrary to the laws of nature.
You know the kind of intersections I mean, we have them in NEW ENGLAND.
:lol:
Cheers
Warren
330 GT Series II sn 10069