won't start

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

rouleur35

Post by rouleur35 »

well i was hoping that originally it was just out of gas so i put 5 gallons in.
gauge show 1/4 full so is probably working ( before it read empty with red light on)

now after tapping top of carbs i can get a little squirt of fuel when moving throttle linkage ( the back card continues to keep sticking but the front two keep working)

still will not start

if the other jets are clogged is that a different outlet than the ones that squirt fuel by moving the throttle linkage?

tom
330gt 2+2 8245
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

Tom,

Your car has 2 fuel pumps, a mechanical one and the Autoflux, an electric auxilliary pump. As long as the rest of the fuel system is OK, the only thing that will happen by having the Autofluc always on is that it will burn out sooner.

Did you contact the mechanic that did the PPI to see if he can give you a suggestion or two?

Finally, if you are new to Ferraris, I would either invite your Ferrari mechanic over or have it brought to his shop.

Good luck and sorry that your ownership of this car started with a wimper rather than a bang.

Regards,

Art S.
1965 330 2+2 series 2 7919
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

Tom, yes there are two different routes that the fuel takes to the chokes. The pump squirt is different than the idle jets as I described earlier. Remove one of the fuel, hoses and place it in a coffee can turn on the electric pump and see if it flows! The wiring for the switch can be looked at later, get it started first. See if you can pull the choke cable by hand, this will enrich the mixture enough to possibly get some action. Clean the idle jets as described and make sure fuel is flowing - it should start and slowly improve. Jim
rouleur35

Post by rouleur35 »

so i have cleaned out the carb jets and now they are reliably squirting with the throttle. still not starting,

i will take the plugs out hopefully later today and check those for possible fouling.

how fast should the starter crank, as i am worried i might burn it out?

tom
330gt 2+2 8245
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Since you are getting fuel, at this point I would change out the spark plugs. Who knows how fouled out they are at this point. As you may know, cleaning them may not be enough. Put some new in.
1967 330 GTC #9313
Sleeper

Post by Sleeper »

xs10shl wrote:Just a thought here - if the fuel pump doesn't stop clicking, and there's no gas going into the carbs, have you checked to see whether you have any gas in the car at all? (don't trust your gas gauge!)
Good call.
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

Tom, do you have spark on both banks? Jim
donv

Post by donv »

Incidentally, many cars seem to have the fuel pump wired to be always on. My 365 is this way. No pump problems so far in 12 years.
1969 365GT 2+2
zac

Post by zac »

[quote="donv"]Incidentally, many cars seem to have the fuel pump wired to be always on. My 365 is this way. No pump problems so far in 12 years.[/quote]

Not to get off the topic at hand. But Don your car has two electric fuel pumps, one which comes on with the ignition switch and the second back up which is switched on by the dash switch.
1970 365 gt 2+2 13137, 1997 550 Maranello, 1969 Lamborghini Miura S, 1973 365 GTB/4 Daytona
donv

Post by donv »

How can you tell that they are both not running all the time, then? Turning the "A" switch on seems to make no difference-- I still hear clicking either way. Starts fine either way also.

Years ago, when I had a PPI done on the car, I was told that it was wired that way, and there seemed to be no reason to change it.

But I would like to know what it should do if it was wired correctly.

[quote="zac"][quote="donv"]Incidentally, many cars seem to have the fuel pump wired to be always on. My 365 is this way. No pump problems so far in 12 years.[/quote]

Not to get off the topic at hand. But Don your car has two electric fuel pumps, one which comes on with the ignition switch and the second back up which is switched on by the dash switch.[/quote]
1969 365GT 2+2
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

Please do not confuse Tom, his 330 would only have one electric fuel pump.
He does not have a 365. For safety reasons Ferrari had the 250 and 330 electric pump on a switch and the owners manual said to use it for starting and hot weather (vapor lock) conditions. Reason: in case of a crash the pump would not feed a possible fire.
rouleur35

Post by rouleur35 »

well thanks to all the help i got it started today. i cleaned all of the jets out, each one had some gunk at one part or another and put in new plugs ( looked on here to see what type and gap) and put another 5 gallons in the tank. and after a couple of tries it started right up and drove around the block a couple of times. pretty cool

thanks for all the help
tom
330gt 2+2 8245
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

Tom, enjoy. Jim
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

Tom: You may now want to drain the gas tank to be sure there is no more gunk hiding there, also consider adding heavy duty carb cleaner to the fuel for a while, you might also read some of the threads here and FChat on adding lead to the fuel, (be forewarned there is a split of opinion on this). You will be amazed how much better it will run after you take it out for 3-4 hours at highway speed! Welcome to the group! Michael Bayer #9727 & #14947