69 365GT Ferrari

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

enio45

69 365GT Ferrari

Post by enio45 »

I have an opportunity to purchase a 69 365GT . 36K miles.... private owner, in storage for the past 10yrs at least.

I have not personally looked at it yet, but the pics looks good. Anyone with experience with this model that can provide some advise.

Also, thoughts on value would be appreciated.

Thanks for the time and advise...
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

Ed: BrianP on this site has one and knows them well, you might PM him, there have also been several recent threads on FChat about things to look for in one, Michael Bayer
zac

Post by zac »

pm me any questons you have and will be happy to answer any questions

Zac
1970 365 gt 2+2 13137, 1997 550 Maranello, 1969 Lamborghini Miura S, 1973 365 GTB/4 Daytona
enio45

365GT

Post by enio45 »

PM sent
Ed Montini
87 El Camino SS
Stephanm

Post by Stephanm »

I have been aroud alot of these cars and feel that they are one of the best V-12 Ferraris.
There isn't anything in particular to look out for on these cars, just look at everrything, all the regular things, rust, accident damage, exhaust, axle noise, trans,----- everything. Get a good mechnic to go with you.
williamtaylor

Post by williamtaylor »

We put together a guide on the 365 GT recently. It can be downloaded at:

http://www.ferrariforum.com/classified/vintage.php

or if you have problems downloading, send me a PM or email and I can email it directly to you.
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

On the 365GT 2+2, add the rear shock and spring assembly to the list. They are a trouble spot and can be expensive to fix. Sagging and poor ride are the things to check. Jim
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

The rear leveler shocks as a problem only are urban legend. I just left Chuck Wray's shop, they are installing the Koni ajustable spring over shock replacements for the rear levelers on a C/4. The installation looked terrific, (though it is obvious), Chuck promises me a report on how they do, the client car is a 99 point example, and well driven. It was another sad story of numerious and costly attempts to rebuild the origional shocks, to the point this client (a very significant collector) has given up and made this switch. BrianP has the details on the Shaughnessy solution which is dirt cheep: US made airshocks or spring overs by Gabriel or Monroe (less than $100/pair) painted Koni orange. Michael Bayer #14947
donv

Post by donv »

I know someone who did the air shock solution on a C/4, and they hated it. Last time I checked they were trying to go back to the standard setup (with rebuilds from Jeff Leblond).

[quote="Michael Bayer"]The rear leveler shocks as a problem only are urban legend. I just left Chuck Wray's shop, they are installing the Koni ajustable spring over shock replacements for the rear levelers on a C/4. The installation looked terrific, (though it is obvious), Chuck promises me a report on how they do, the client car is a 99 point example, and well driven. It was another sad story of numerious and costly attempts to rebuild the origional shocks, to the point this client (a very significant collector) has given up and made this switch. BrianP has the details on the Shaughnessy solution which is dirt cheep: US made airshocks or spring overs by Gabriel or Monroe (less than $100/pair) painted Koni orange. Michael Bayer #14947[/quote]
1969 365GT 2+2
klv

Post by klv »

We recently had the rear dampers replaced with some Koni 'coilovers' which I don't have the exact specs on, but will try and dig up sometime. They have the advantage of being adjustable for bump and rebound relatively easily. In conjunction with new springs all round and overhauled rear suspension we have been able to 'throw it into corners' as described by Tom much more effectively than before!
Cheers from downunder
Kelly la Velle & Andrew Stevens
Kelly La Velle & Andrew Stevens
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

donv: There are numerious threds in FChat on the reliability of rebuilds, Tom Shaughnessy has held forth many times on this as well. I believe the key is insure a sustitute has the same characteristics as a functioning original by testing it on a rate machine. Michael Bayer
donv

Post by donv »

I'm quite familiar with those threads. I haven't used Jeff, but his nephew (?) posted a response to Shaughnessy on FChat a while back.

If at all possible, I prefer to keep my cars stock.

[quote="Michael Bayer"]donv: There are numerious threds in FChat on the reliability of rebuilds, Tom Shaughnessy has held forth many times on this as well. I believe the key is insure a sustitute has the same characteristics as a functioning original by testing it on a rate machine. Michael Bayer[/quote]
1969 365GT 2+2
330GT

Post by 330GT »

To have the Quote option work, one needs to go to their profile and have 'Always allow BBCode' turned on.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
enio45

Do u think this is a scam?

Post by enio45 »

Ed Montini
87 El Camino SS
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

Ed: Looks like an interesting car, and a close sibling of the terrific car you own!
Writing the driving impressions notes for the C/4 has focused me on the points in time when the 12 cylinder cars changed such that the "feel" changed dramatically. This because, while the bodies changed a lot over time, the drive train that came out of the Factory evolved very slowly, with years of significant comonality or close comonality. You could (I emphasize could) group them by rough (and I do meen very rough) equivilant feel as: The Lampredi engined, drum brake cars - the disc braked Columbos 250-275 -330s - the 365 4 cams - the BBs 365 + 512s.
So the question: do you want to stay close to your 330 in driving experience, or try for one of its later siblings?
Michael Bayer