Ferrari Daytona Differential

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Paul

Ferrari Daytona Differential

Post by Paul »

I have a low milage 1971 Daytona. The diff. will minimally lock up in first gear. I was told that this is caused by condensation on the plates in the diff. causing corrosion to the plates. It was recommened I put 50% Lucas oil with 50% 80/90 gear oil in the diff. to eventually resolve the probem. Any thoughts? Thanks. Paul
simonc

Post by simonc »

The diff on my 1977 400 used to judder when slowly turning left or right out of junctions. I had just replaced the oil with 80/90 gear oil. I asked around an was told I should use Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil. I did and the judder went away. It's good stuff, see:

http://dallnd6.dal.mobil.com/GIS/MobilP ... enDocument
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Paul,

I have been using Redline Lead Substitute for two years. I know it works because my valves seal better. I can tell this from the way the back pressure increases, i.e., the exhaust pops and crackles when I back off the throttle going down hill. The stuff just adds a little cussion on the mating surfaces of the valves , thus making them seal better. It is about 5-6 dollars a bottle and I add about a quarter of the bottle to every 30 gallons.

While we are on the subject, there is also this stuff called Marvels Mystery Oil which the oldtimers swear by. I add about a pint of this stuff to every tankful as well. It lubricates the combustion chamber. Some of the old Packards actually have an aspirator canister under the hood where this stuff goes, and it applies by induction manifold suction. But if you put it in the tank it works just as well.

john :D
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Paul
I’m going to add one more opinion to the list – to weigh and evaluate.
I only have a simple C4, and not the fancy trans-axel found in the Daytona, but I have had some experience with transmission oil…

In the transmission I have tried a number of lubricants, now I’m running 80-90 Swepco – this is the stuff all the Porsche guys swear by. The reason being it seems to work best in allowing good gear protection but also does not negate the syncro action that is based upon friction. The C4, and I believe the Daytona both have Porsche style syncros - so it fits. Although when warmed up, the Swepco seems to work very well, I personally liked the “feel” of the Red Line Heavy Shock Proof gear lube in the transmission. I will put it back in the transmission next time.

In the differential we are dealing with both gear protection issues as well as clutch plates. Again, there is a dependency on friction for proper “posi-traction” function. I have been told that Red Line Shock Proof gear lube will provide too much lubrication to the clutch plates. Red Line does make a product for Posi differentials that I have never tried. To date, I have been running Swepco with no complaints.

So – for transmission I would use Red Line Heavy Shock Proof
For differential I would continue to run Swepco 80-90

I believe that the Daytona trans-axel shares lubricant between the transmission mechanism and the posi-differential module. In this case I would not use Red Line shock proof for the above reason. I would go with the Swepco 80-90. Swepco again, has worked well for me in both functions.

Aaron