pedal bellows

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

lukek

pedal bellows

Post by lukek »

I thought I would report on my own little project, just in case Tom or someone should face a similar task.

On a recent Friday I found myself slightly disgruntled, so I bailed out of work a little early and headed off to my mechanic (Johannes at Dino Motors in San Mateo, CA) for a little car therapy.

The car is already there for the Overdrive R&R, and the owner was kind enought to let me futz around.

I thought I did not have pedal bellows at all (PPi said so), but after I peeled away the carpet and the insulation, I did find rubber remnants. For those of you not familiar with this particular piece, it is an accordion-like piece of rubber that slips over the pedal assemblies, rests at the base (cluttch and brake). It seals away the dust, noise, and heat that would normally come through the opening for the pedals.
I bought the bellows and the metal "gasket" for under 100 bucks, but I have not had the time to install them, as trivial as it seemed....

It was not trivial and it took 2 hours, with an expert watching over. First I had to spray some carb cleaner to dissolve the gunk where the old stuf was on the floorboard. Good lighting was key. Then I scraped some of it with a wide screwdriver. An air powered grinding wheel took care of the 6 rivets that were still there to hold the old metal (oval-shaped) gasket. One of them was pretty much impossible to access, but when the mechanic came over for a look and see, I was told to "depress the clutch pedal to obtain clearance for the tool". I laughed at my own stupidity for 5 minutes. Johannes thought I maybe remembered a good joke...
The rivets needed some more connvinvcing to come out, but a chisel helped. I was left with nice proper holes. I think we ended up with 4mm rivets but had to enlarge the holes in the metal piece. There were some differences of opinion about where the metal piece needed to go, over or under the rubber boot lip, but we ended up putting them under. The rivets worked perfectly. Of course, I needed to unbolt the pedeals in order for the rubber pieces to slip over the metal bar. Here, I noticed that there were two notches on the pedal rod, so I adjusted the depth or moved the pedals a little further away from me (I have longish legs, not ideally suited for the italian driving position).
Well. that is it. It does not seem that insightful, but someone of my experience might benefit from the description.
Now....if I could only procure proper floor mats. I would like to keep that carpet clean, so I might have an upholsterer do a custom job, or is there a source out there? (One vendor listed them, but did not come through in the end).
Happy Driving and Restoring to everyone

Luke, $#4823, 1963 Ferrari 250 GTE
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Luke,

I wasn't sure if I read your post right, but did you grind the rivets out with the panel still installed in the car?

Tom
lukek

re: pedal bellows

Post by lukek »

There was too much insulation gunk around and the rivets came out without the panel coming out of the car. The seats were out for the tranny work, so it was all easily accessible.
Your picture brings up one more important point. It does show that the bellows are not symmetrical. There is a rise in at one end (longitudonal axis), and it belongs on the end closer to the motor (since the padals are at an angle).

thx
luke
tyang

Post by tyang »

Yup, and if you install them wrong, the gaiters will rip, and you'll be out about $100 bucks!

BTW, I'm glad you got some time to work on your car, especially a "work" day! I'm all for "Ferrari Fridays!"

Tom
abrent

Bellow's

Post by abrent »

Hi Luke,

Where did you buy these?

Regards,

Andrew.
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Andrew,

Re-Originals has them along with Partsource.

Tom
lukek

re: pedal bellows

Post by lukek »

I got them from the Ferrari Parts Exchange, but they probably source them from those two guys themselves (Matt and Jeff), or maybe even some guy in a dark, dimly lit garage near Modena. By the time it gets to you, it is $100 (It is really not that unreasonable for a small run of such a piece).

thx
luke
owen

Post by owen »

I need to replace pedal bellows on my Series I 330 GT. Existing ones are shot and this seems to be major source for heat coming into my car (floors and firewall are insulated with a foil faced material - must have been added at some point). I only see GTE bellows listed online. I suspect the same pedals were used on Series I 330 but can anyone confirm? Thanks.
Owen
'65 330 GT 2+2 #5767
'58 Fiat 1200 TV
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Owen,

Yes, the GTE pedal gaiters are the same as on your Series I 330.

While you have the panel off to replace the rubber gaiter, insulate the panel as well.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

owen wrote:I need to replace pedal bellows on my Series I 330 GT. Existing ones are shot and this seems to be major source for heat coming into my car (floors and firewall are insulated with a foil faced material - must have been added at some point). I only see GTE bellows listed online. I suspect the same pedals were used on Series I 330 but can anyone confirm? Thanks.
I replaced the bellows on both pedals 2 1/2 years ago. Now, 4,000 miles later, the clutch side has ripped out again. They're asymmetical in shape for the angled floor there...I'm going to try installing the clutch side reversed from the brake this time.

The clutch and brake pedals protrude from the floor at different angles and I think the stress from constant movement got to the clutch side, but they ought to last longer...anyway, they're cheap and not hard to install so its worth a try. Owen, you're right about the heat...check your rubber shifter boot as well. I replaced that and both bellows and cut out 80%+ of air draft heat coming from the engine compartment.
Current: 1983 308 GTS
R.I.P: 330 2+2 s/n 5409