SB 708, California Wants Car Collectors to Hang

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

allan a

SB 708, California Wants Car Collectors to Hang

Post by allan a »

All of us located in CA are in trouble, please contact your local senator to stop bill SB708. This bill will require all cars later than 1958 to have smog installed and checked every two years. This is not a joke, act now. This bill will be voted on this month.

Welcome to the state of little Russia! :twisted:
JimB

Post by JimB »

More insanity from our screwed up legislature.
Let's not let this get through.

Jim B.
bill rose

Post by bill rose »

I've emailed my state senator, concerning this bill. No response as yet . . . not that I'm expecting a personal letter, but perhaps an automated reply, at least.
JimB

Post by JimB »

All of you that live in California and read this forum please call your senator and tell them what you think about this boondoggle bill; then call all your car collector buddies.

JimB
allan a

Post by allan a »

Here is some additional information regarding this bill. The interesting thing about this bill is how will they set the standards for the car emissions, many of these cars never had initial results taken. This is a joke.

Allan

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/about/legislative.asp
ROMANPC

Post by ROMANPC »

My understanding from AAA is that it's 1974 and newer vehicles, plus new cars are exempt for 5 years. Not as bad as it first sounded.
Peter Bain

Post by Peter Bain »

ROMANPC,

That's the current law you are quoting.

The proposal Senator Florez has introduced is VERY serious to the classic car community. It’s recommending a change that starting in 2005 any automobile that is newer that 45 years old (that would be 1960 vs. 1975 under the current legislation) be subject to a biennial SMOG test. It isn’t clear what the requirements are because as Allan a. pointed out – there weren’t emission standards in 1960.

This is a horrible piece of legislation and I won’t vent my opinions about the issue here – I’d be preaching to the choir anyways ;-). However, I’ve heard that this piece of legislation is gaining ground among the good hearted but somewhat misguided “tree hugger” crowd.

Please take a few minutes to write a simple message to your rep.

This site is the easiest I’ve found.

http://www.congressweb.com/framesets/sema.htm

Cheers & happy motoring.

Peter
ROMANPC

Post by ROMANPC »

Absolutely will do.
Letter will go out today.
Also have circulated this info at work, where there literally are hundreds of classic car fanatics.
JimB

Post by JimB »

I just recieved a reply from Sen Florez, the author of SB708. He says this is a work in progress and that he is working with the car clubs to ensure that there is an exemption for collector cars that are driven less than 12,000/yr. He states that he has been in contact with Jay Leno concerning this legislation. Let's hope he is straight up with us.

Jim B :)