A visit to Ferrari UK

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

simonc

A visit to Ferrari UK

Post by simonc »

Our local Ferrari Owners Club area group were invited by Ferrari UK to visit them and have a look around their newly opened service centre yesterday. This proved to be a great day out as the service centre is the largest facility in Europe for ANY manufacturer. A huge mechanical repair shop, beautifully decorated and so clean it is like a hospital operating theatre, all decked out in light grey tiles on the floor and light grey walls. Numerous 355, 360, 550 and 456 cars being worked on plus a 365BB, a Daytona and a 30GTC. The body shops were similarly impressive and just as clean.

Probably the most surprising part of the trip for me was the parts department. We saw an 'overstock' warehouse - one that had excess parts that were duplicated in the main warehouse. Truly amazing. Ferrari UK are the world stockists for ALL parts of models more than 10 years old and we were allowed to wander around this warehouse and have a look at what was on the shelves. A brief rundown to make your mouth water - a complete back-end fro a 275GTB, 330 front wings, 250GTE front wings, a Boxer bonnet, a rear 3/4 for a fibreglass 308GTB, racks of GTB doors, twelve 400/412 bonnets (hoods), six (at least) 400 doors, hundreds (literally) of Speedline wheels for 308s, 400 centre consoles, lots of trim and body panels I couldn't identify, at least 4 new and crated 308 engines, a new and crated Testarossa engine, racks full of gearbox internals, cylinder heads, blocks etc etc. Absolutely unbelevable.

We also visited the sales area and saw lots of 355, 360, 550, 575, 456 for sale but nothing 'classic'. Ferrari UK are also the importers for Maserati and a selection of 3200GT and Spiders where also on show.

The best part of the day for me was the spare parts department. Certainly worth checking availability with them next time anyone needs some hard to find spares. You can contact them via their web site at http://www.ferrari.co.uk/classicparts/index.asp - no affiliation, yada, yada.

Another highlight of the day was seeing my first Enzo there. This yellow car belongs to Eric Clapton and has just been delivered to him. See http://www.400register.com/enzo.jpg for a picture of me and the Enzo.

Simon
simonc

Post by simonc »

Sorry but the Enzo pic can't be sposted until sometime tomorrow, 10th March