Tom's Transmission Mount

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

treue

Tom's Transmission Mount

Post by treue »

Tom:

I read the latest entry in the Restoration Diary. If you can’t find a new transmission mount for 5053 or have the existing mount reconditioned, you CAN repair it yourself. Get some Loctite 120HP epoxy from a Loctite distributor like Fastenal. The 120HP in the syringe dispenser takes a special pusher which you can make out of the appropriate size dowels. Clean the parts thoroughly. The steel part needs to be thoroughly bead or sand blasted shortly before bonding. Take sandpaper to the rubber to remove the foreign matter that seems to be on the surface. (Could the mount have been repaired in the past using contact cement? I see yellow matter on the mating surfaces.) Clean both mating surfaces with a strong solvent. Mix and apply the epoxy to both surfaces and lightly clamp them together and let set overnight. I made a test fixture bonding a cylinder of polyurethane elastomer between two squares of 1/8” steel sheet. I was able to turn one steel piece 90 degrees in relation to the other before the elastomer failed in shear. The epoxy bond did not fail in any way.
Tom Treue
67 330GT 2+2, No. 9129 (former owner)
afwrench

Post by afwrench »

Come on Tom S ! Instead of telling Tom Y where to buy glue just send him a tranny mount from that pile of stuff you have. It could be your party favor for the upcoming event.Mike
72,365gtc4,14681,2007 599 GTB
airsanford

transmission mount

Post by airsanford »

part # 413-050 from Moss Motors. Same as big Healey. Real budget-buster at $5.50 each.

How many ya want?
tyang

Post by tyang »

Thanks guys! The Moss mount seems like the way to go!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053