new GTE in the market

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

lukek

new GTE in the market

Post by lukek »

Just spotted this one in my classic driver newsletter. It appears to be in Europe. With the prices of #2 GTEs moving beyond 100K a few more of them are coming out of the woodwork.
It also appears that 1 of the 2 GTEs at Fantasy Junction sold and the one at Heritage no longer appears on the website either.

http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/find/41 ... ID=1719362
or direct
http://www.steenbuck-automobiles.de/A_3 ... 50_gte.htm

Black and red work well, Stendahl's colors, and all...
:)
Ex 1963 Ferrari 250 GTE, 99 Modena 360, 11 Maserati QPorte S, 08 merc gl550, 67 Cadillac Coupe DeVille Convertible, 2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, 2006 MV Agusta Brutale S, 1991 Ducati 907i.e.
David Hodge

german gte

Post by David Hodge »

asking price is = 112.000,- EUR

about $143,000 USD!!!!!

ask me how i know, i'm leaving for EU 8/17 to buy a GTE (had to use my monterey vacation time!) and for a lot less than that this one!

it's been auctioned a few times recently according to the register

hodge

p.s. lukek, want to sell!!! you might really like my offer
lukek

Post by lukek »

Congratulations and we will expect pictures soon upon arrival !
With the trend in vintage iron going up I continue to sit on the fence....
I am enjoying the car. Too bad we will not see you at Quail. I am not sure if I will be the sole V12 2+2 rep, but I was pleased to have been accepted for a place on the grass.
Ex 1963 Ferrari 250 GTE, 99 Modena 360, 11 Maserati QPorte S, 08 merc gl550, 67 Cadillac Coupe DeVille Convertible, 2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, 2006 MV Agusta Brutale S, 1991 Ducati 907i.e.
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

If 330s follow the trend set by the GTEs, I might be tempted to sell!

Art S.
1965 330 2+2 series 2 7919
tyang

Post by tyang »

Good luck David! Hope you bring back a car!

Art, and Luke,

If you guys are enjoying your cars, why sell? Money doesn't always bring you happiness, but a Ferrari at 6000 rpm can at least bring a smile to your face!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
lukek

Post by lukek »

i think i am keeping mine...a vintage v12 ferrari is like california real estate. If you sell....you can never go back ! Appreciation will make it unaffordable...
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

I got in under the the wire with the 330 2+2 and it's my stake in Vintage 12 ownwership...it's sorted out well now and really nice...and I love those four headlights! A hundred grand on top of the sale proceeds to "upgrade" to a 330 GTC or Daytona that's going to need another $20-30K in work? No thanks, I'll be keeping the 2+2 for a long time.
Current: 1983 308 GTS
R.I.P: 330 2+2 s/n 5409
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

The market has no effect on my decision to keep a car or not. I bought the two Ferraris because they are unique and very fun to drive. I am fortunate that the market has shown such appreciation for thses cars, but that is really just icing on the cake. Potential buyers need not apply....

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
lukek

Post by lukek »

It is OK if it all crashes. I like where I live and what I drive. If I were a short time speculator, you are right, I should be crapping my pants. It is looking like the 80s. I guess what I was saying that "long term" you cannot loose with either. There are cyclical booms and crashes, but the 10 yr. pic (+ ride out any valleys) usually looks positive and I will have gotten use out of the CA house / F car.
BTW, congrats on the new transition ! I really enjoyed meeting you when I dropped in during my San Diego work conference in 2004 (I really did not need to go to that conference...)
David Hodge

escrow vs. wire transfer for gte

Post by David Hodge »

opinions please!

back from eu and like the car... a lot. negotiated and agreed on a price with the seller, an established vintage dealer, brick and mortar operation. however, they insist on wire transfer and of course i'd prefer escrow. i'm very nervous about transferring this amount of hard earned cash!

are wire transfers common in the vintage car trade??

thanks,

david hodge
lukek

Post by lukek »

i am not good for legal advice but if it is a reputable /established dealer you might want to do it preceeded by a faxed contract. If you do not like a wire you can always have an agent like Cosdell's handle the local transaction (they serve as the escrow holding funds and pick up the car).
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Welcome to the ownership club David. Looks like you got a nice car. Please note that though this thread had a philosophical discussion about pricing, no one was able to come up with anything wrong with the car itself. That doesn't happen very often, so I would take that as a good sign!

Maybe you can get the shipping done quick enough that you can bring it to the Fall Tom Yang gathering. We would all like to take a closer look and there is nothing like that drive from Florida to Upstate New York to really get to know your new car.
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
David Hodge

250 gte

Post by David Hodge »

tom w.,

not a done deal yet, i haven't wired the money!! i lost a night of sleep last night worrying about sending that wire transfer vs. holding out for escrow.

just so there is no confusion, it's not the car mentioned at the beginning of this thread, that one is #4745 in germany. the car i drove this weekend is a series 2 and pretty far off the radar (and a lot less expensive thank god).

i'll keep you posted!

david hodge
xs10shl

Post by xs10shl »

shaughnessy wrote:
lukek wrote:i think i am keeping mine...a vintage v12 ferrari is like california real estate. If you sell....you can never go back ! Appreciation will make it unaffordable...

What goes up, cyclically does come down. Both items Calf Real Estate and Ferraris. Sit around and watch. Show will be fun. I am prepared.
A "garage" analysis of the Wave Principle suggests: you know you're near the top the moment people start believing it's gonna keep going up forever.

I'm not crying at the moment, but I'm certainly thinking of selling.
mikewegener

Buying a car in germany

Post by mikewegener »

Hi David
Some 20 years ago I exported a lot of cars to Germany and the concept of "Escrow" is pretty foreign to them as it isn't used in real estate deals. Your seller would have to find an attorney that is willing to set up a special account called "Treuhandkonto" and the whole process would be unusual really. I personally would have no problems wiring money to a seller that I know from inspecting his car. They have very interesting and quite different laws over there and somebody who owns real estate or a business can easily lose a lot over a crooked business deal because your claim attaches to their property within weeks ending in public auction of that person belongings. Back then I did not dare send a car over there that is different than described let alone not send the car at all as all the laws are on the buyer's side. The same goes for rental real esate over there as I found out the hard way. If you get a crooked tenant who knows the laws he will live in your house for free for ever.......
Of course this is my personal opinion and not experienced legal advice and you should not operate heavy machinery while thinking about this post.
Hope this helps
Mike