250 GTE cooling fan assembly question

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

GTE's forever

250 GTE cooling fan assembly question

Post by GTE's forever »

Hi to all....I have owned GTE #2579 for some years now and have been slowly working my way through some mechanical improvement opportunities. My radiator fan for the longest time, has had the clutch locked such that the fan rotates constantly. I have decided to try to get the thing operating as intended, that is engaging when the temp sender signals the need for cooling and thereby engages the fan through the fan clutch. I had the fan assembly to my local machine shop and they pressed in all new bearings, mine having gotten really noisy of late. My fan clutch does not function when energized and the GTE Register Handbook advises that the clutch mechanism is of Peugeot origin. If you can believe it, here in Northern New Jersey there is a guy specializing in Peugeot service, even though they haven't sold them in the US for who knows how many years. I figured he should be sitting around like the Maytag Repairman, but not to worry, the fellow has all the work he can handle tinkering with customer's old Peugeots, but that is another story. Anyway, he looked at my fan housing and remarked that the clutch looks very reminiscent of those on '80's vintage Peugeot 505's. The purchase price of this clutch is around 200 bucks, an expensive experiment if indeed the shaft size is different or something. Does anyone know whether the 505 clutch is a drop - in replacement, or whether some other old Peugeot clutch is the correct one? [/quote]