365P

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Bernard Fahimian

365P

Post by Bernard Fahimian »

For those of you who are interested and read Tom`s diary about the 365P, there is an excelent article about this car on page 68 of the November 2001 issue of Thoroughbred and Classiccars. This car as of this writing was still owned by the Chinetti family. Terry Hoyle had done the engine work on the car. I saw the car at Concorso Italiano two years ago and could not take my eyes off of it. Bernard
Bryan P

Post by Bryan P »

Starting in April, the 365P is advertised as one of the ten Ferraris that will featured in an exhibit about Ferrari at the Chrysler Museum in Norfolk, Va. I'm not sure when the exhibit ends, but some folks (including me) from the Mid-Atlantic FCA will caravan down from D.C. on May 17. Don't be confused by the name of the museum; it's not a car museum dedicated to Chryslers - it's an art museum; it just happened to be a prominent family name in Norfolk a long time ago . . .
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Bryan,

Francois is probably prepping it for this event.

Tom
Maeter

Post by Maeter »

It seems that the 365P Berlinetta Speciale was built by Pinninfarina in response to the Lamborghini Miura which was introduced in early 1966. This 365P, which is probably chassis 0830, an original 330P2, is one of two or three built. It developed about 380 bhp from a centrally mounted V12. One of the 365P built, chassis 8815, was delivered to Gianni Agnelli in 1967 and is similar to the one in Tom's picture with the exception of a spoiler at the rear. It is painted a light blue color. The prototypes were built at the request of Chinetti, who paid for the tooling. It is styled on the early prototypes 206/246GT except for the overall size which is much larger to accomodate the V12. The aerodynamic lessons learned on the 365P were incorporated in the Dinos. The car photographed here was shown at the Goodwood Revival meeting in the UK two years ago and is estimated to be worth £3.5 million or +/- $5.6 million.
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Maeter,

Since it looks like it a a fairly known car, I can now divulge the SN as 8971. Luigi Chinetti's car.

I sure wish this car had made it into production! Imagine, a Dino with twice the cylinders, and almost twice power! The only problem would be to find two girlfriends willing to share!

Tom
Maeter

Post by Maeter »

Tom:

I tell you what, you get the car and I will provide the girlfriends! Chassis 8971 actually started life as chassis 0830, a 330P2. After the Daytona race in 1965, it seems to have been send back to Italy for its rebody and new chassis number of 8971. I can only dream of a 12 cylinder Dino as I have a 1969 L-Series Dino 246GT which, although a fantastic car to drive, could use a few more bhp. Great sound though!

Pascal