330 GT Mechanical Fuel Pumps...all Fispa ?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

seamusdavis

330 GT Mechanical Fuel Pumps...all Fispa ?

Post by seamusdavis »

Sorry if this has been asked before I have scoured the old posts.

Were they all Fispa Sup 150, I cannot see the numbers on mine and want to order a rebuild kit prior to dismantling.

Also my glass bowl & filter now stays full but as soon as I switch off the electrical pump the car begins to falter. Would the electrical pump be capable of filling the bowl or does this suggest a blockage in the line from the filter bowl ?

thanks again
shaun
Seamus
65 330GT 2+2 7131
330GT

Post by 330GT »

Yes, they are all FISPA 150s unless replaced after the car left the factory.

Does the glass bowl empty when the car is running after you switch off the electric pump? If so, the mechanical pump just isn't doing the job. If not, it does sound like a problem in the line from the filter to the fuel log.

Did you replace the filter in the bowl? That could prevent the fuel from coming from the mechanical pump, but the bowl would be kept full.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
seamusdavis

Post by seamusdavis »

Thanks Kerry

re the glass bowl its a bit of both, before I changed the filters it would drain to empty as soon the electrical pump was switched off.

I have now changed the front and rear filter (nasty job) and the glass bowl stays full when the elec pump switched off but the car still starves and dies pretty quickly. Could this mean mechanical pump has given up entirely ?

Runs perfectly with the elec pump on.

Just to check I am understanding the flwo correctly it does come up from the fuel pump into the glass bowl doesn't it i.e not drawn through the bowl by the pump.

Any ideas ?? Pump or fuel line blockage, could I have the filter mis aligned in the glass bowl ?

shaun

ps you asked me ages ago a question re wiring colours and it is only now that I have got the car back from storage I can check, can you remember what the question was ?
Seamus
65 330GT 2+2 7131
330GT

Post by 330GT »

seamusdavis wrote:Thanks Kerry

re the glass bowl its a bit of both, before I changed the filters it would drain to empty as soon the electrical pump was switched off.

I have now changed the front and rear filter (nasty job) and the glass bowl stays full when the elec pump switched off but the car still starves and dies pretty quickly. Could this mean mechanical pump has given up entirely ??
Yes, it sounds like a rebuild is in order. You may also find that there is enough wear on the cam in the oil pump and rod that the pump is not getting enough of a stroke to pump effectively.
seamusdavis wrote:Runs perfectly with the elec pump on.

Just to check I am understanding the flwo correctly it does come up from the fuel pump into the glass bowl doesn't it i.e not drawn through the bowl by the pump.?
Yes, the fuel is pumped through the glass bowl filter.
seamusdavis wrote:Any ideas ?? Pump or fuel line blockage, could I have the filter mis aligned in the glass bowl ?

shaun?
It's easy to pull the fuel line from the glass bowl filter to the fuel log and see if it has a blockage. A misalignment would just let the fuel bypass the filter, so I can't see how that would cause this problem.

The glass bowl filter is also a pressure regulator. I've never looked into mine as it's always worked, but maybe someone else knows if the regulator needs to be adjusted?
seamusdavis wrote:ps you asked me ages ago a question re wiring colours and it is only now that I have got the car back from storage I can check, can you remember what the question was ?
Thanks for remembering. I located a 4HL car that's local, so I've figured out the wiring colors and updated the 4HL wiring diagram.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
Stephanm

Post by Stephanm »

I had a car that would not run without the electric pump. I rebuilt the mechaincal pump but still, not working. After a sleepless night, I thought that I would replace the pressure regulator diaphragm located on top of the glass filter, problem solved.
grahamdelooze

Post by grahamdelooze »

I rebuilt mine using a kit from Talacrest, comes with everything you need.
330 GT 6159
seamusdavis

Post by seamusdavis »

Talcrest have gone under now, any idea who they sold their stock to ?

Shaun
Seamus
65 330GT 2+2 7131
Sleeper

Post by Sleeper »

I bought a rebuild kit from Rutlands for my 250gt. I could use only the diaphram and two screens. The other parts weren't even found on my car. There has got to be a better way.
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

That was my experience with the Rutlands kit. I am trying to have the original type seals re made using a rubber compound that will work with modern fuels. I had some seals made that fit perfect but they were not compatible with our modern gasoline. I'll get it yet.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
DinoSteven

FISPA rebuild...

Post by DinoSteven »

My FISPA 150 failed. I could not find a rebuild kit. I finally had it rebuilt by Then and Now. $68, complete. I'll reinstall it this weekend.

One thing I noticed about my car: The fuel block spacer was missing. They're ususally made of phenolic (non heat conductive) material. I made mine from a sheet of fiberglass, milled to .300". My buddy had a spare one buut didn't want to part with it, I used his as a template.

Also, the rod that actuates the cam on the pump moves only .120" - not very much. I saw some wear on the pump cam lobe but I don't know how far it's supposed to move......The .030" spacer will allow ~.050" preload on the fuel pump arm.

Steven
1964 330GT #5107 "Capt. America"
1973 246GT.
1959 Fiat Jolly.
1960 Fiat Multipla.