365 power steering

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Bernard Fahimian

365 power steering

Post by Bernard Fahimian »

Has anybody heard of power steering reducers for 2+2`s? If yes who makes them and how does it work? Bernard
zac

Post by zac »

Hi Bernard,
sorry I missed You at Monterey I did not see your car and I left your phone # at home. let me know what you are trying to accomplish with your cars steering and I can help you out.
Zac
Bernard Fahimian

365 GT steering

Post by Bernard Fahimian »

Hi Zac, I drove the car to Monterey ( it ran beautifully ) but did not get there on time to register to show at the concorso. In any case i feel the steering has too much boost. Can i reduce the amount of assist to the pump so i have more road feel? PS. nice to hear from you. Bernard
zac

Post by zac »

I have never heard of a power steering reducer by that name but I am sure we are all familiar with speed sensitive power steering it is on most of the better modern cars and basically bypasses the fluid and speeds over anywhere from 15 to 25 mile an hour. unfortunaly most of those work off a VSS(vehicle speed sensor) which not to many vintage Ferraris are equiped with.

as for possible solutions you could try making a new banjo bolt that bolts the high pressure line to the box and see if you can restrict some of the volume.

Or another possibility is to run a small line from the high pressure side to the return side. again to restrict some of the volume and reduce the pressure thuss reducing the power steering action

I think that unless you can come up with a way to make the speed sensitive set up work you are going to be very unhappy. I can't tell you how many times I have thought I was going to break the wooden wheel off on a early manual steering car trying to park it at slow speed on asphalt. now compound that by ten to try and turn a power steering box without the correct amount of assist.

My best advice would be to go through everything and adjust the box to get rid of all the slack before doing anything drastic.
Zac