GTE for a grand, anyone?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

lukek

GTE for a grand, anyone?

Post by lukek »

Here is what happenned to #2911
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... gory=39405

It says "no information" in the GTE register, so this could be useful (I sent it to Bill)

thx
luke, #4823
Ex 1963 Ferrari 250 GTE, 99 Modena 360, 11 Maserati QPorte S, 08 merc gl550, 67 Cadillac Coupe DeVille Convertible, 2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, 2006 MV Agusta Brutale S, 1991 Ducati 907i.e.
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Luke,

What's interesting is if you look at the trunk area, it looks like the rear frame rails are missing. Although the front portion exists because you can see the chassis stamp, I don't think this is a complete chassis. Perhaps the rear section was cut out for another car because the part that goes over the rear axle is hard to fabricate.

Tom
derekf

How "purist" are Ferrari owners?

Post by derekf »

Tom, your site is an inspiration, I've been reading for years now. With that said, I don't own a Ferrari... I probably never will get to the point where I could afford one, but I do really appreciate the styling of the old V-12 front-engine ones.

I do, however, collect and rebuild musclecars as a hobby. One of the things I have enjoyed most about the hobby is the camaraderie (sp?) of the associated groups for their cars.

However, some of these groups get downright mean when you talk about putting Ford parts in a Chevy, or Chevy parts in a Dodge, or anything import in anything domestic, etcetera.

How about Ferrari owners? I'm speaking quite hypothetically, of course, but if this car was indeed missing part of the frame, and pretty much everything else that wasn't just the shell, would someone that bought this car and put a modern suspension and engine in it be shunned by the Ferrari community? I'm not talking about big exhaust tip and neon lights, it'd look stock externally still, but with the drivetrain and suspension improvements that have appeared in the past 40 years or so.

Would it be considered "better" for the car to be on the road but not using all Enzo's parts or for it to be useful only as a parts donor (and only for sheetmetal at this point)? If I was to do something like that, I'd want to be able to get at least some of the fellowship that your marque seems to have.

Like I said, it's only hypothetical, not only am I in the middle of a different project but I also currently lack the skills to do what I would want to do; but in 5 years or so I would more than likely have gained the skills I would need to carry it out.

I know a guy that put a Chevy engine in a GTO and actually received death threats from Pontiac fans.. would that be the level of hatred one would receive from a Chevy LS1 powered GTE? Or would it be considered that it's not "proper", not quite as nice as what came from Italy in 61 but better than having a bit of history rot away?

I hate seeing any car rust away. The only chance (to my mind) for this car to ever be *driven* again is for someone to do something like this.

Anyway, what does the Ferrari community think about stuff like this? How close to the "Antichrist" does this thought process put me?
tyang

Post by tyang »

derekf,

Thanks for the kind words.

In my observations, each Marque seems to have its own factions from devout purists, to guys who just want to keep their cars alive. I fall somewhere in between. I believe in preserving the history and the intentions of the original designers and engineers, but will certainly make modifications, if modern materials are available and they don't detract from the basic car.

I spent some time thinking about buying a Ferrari with an American V-8 a few years ago, and decided that the heart and soul of a Ferrari was the V-12, so I passed on the car, but that doesn't mean I condemn the act. Many old Ferraris have lost their engines to other cars, and would otherwise rot away if not for a transplanted V-8. Preserving part of these cars is at least better than none at all!

Ultimately it comes down to what you want out of the car. At least with a Chevarri or a Fordarri, it's not a Fiero with a couple of Ferrari stickers!

Tom
derekf

Thanks

Post by derekf »

Thanks, Tom.

At the Ferrari gatherings, are "Chevarri"'s allowed in, or do they have to park out in the spectator parking? I imagine that some of the purists would be to an extent satisfied if I had photographs of how far gone the car was when I started.. but I imagine that some of them would never be satisfied, too.

So far it sounds like once I finish my current project it'll be time to start looking for a 'shell'. At least now I'm relatively sure what brand it'll be, heh.

Thanks again.
Derek
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Derek,

It all depends which show you go to. Small local shows will let anything attend, but you may not be allowed into some of the larger officially sanctioned events.

I say do what makes you happy.

Tom