Alloy panels ...

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Pete

Alloy panels ...

Post by Pete »

... Hmmm, I would not do this myself as alloy panels drum. You can solve the rattling but not the drumming. This is why alloy panels usually have diagonal creases in them to give them some sort of rigidity.

Your call but I would stick to modern wood based products with the plastic on the back (as they do on modern cars) to keep the water out. The plastic is absolutely vital and many restorers forget this ... and the door panels sag real fast.

Plactic panelling would be better than alloy ... but not alluminium. I built a race car that was panelled in alloy and rivited and glued to the space frame and it still drummed ... not that I cared ... but you will :)

Pete
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Pete,

You bring up some good points, and I've been researching it. If I apply a deadening material to the aluminum panel like an adhesive backed aphsalt product, it might eliminate the drumming. A car would resonate like a drum because of all its steel panels, but they also keep it down with insulation.

Another good point would be to use a plastic panel. I wonder if that laser cutter will cut out plastic...

Tom