Anyone looking for a 330 America?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

sam231

Anyone looking for a 330 America?

Post by sam231 »

'72 365 GTC/4 # 14953; ex-owner 330 GT 2+2 # 8025 :>(
330GT

Post by 330GT »

This is 5049, bought a month ago on an eBay auction.

See http://www.tomyang.net/cars/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1534 for details about the auction.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Sam,

Hmmm. Let's review:
ust to confirm the now obvious. I did in fact buy the 330 America to sit next to my 275GTS. Although the car biz is how I make my living, it also allows me to occasionally add something to my rather humble collection of cars. I wasn't really looking for this particular car but I've been priced out of the Lusso world and the rarity and the ownership history of this car hit me. I try to buy things that haven't changed hands a zillion times and cars that are not red. It also helps that I'll be coming to Monterey and the car will be a joy to use over that weekend. And as I've said to a few folks; watching Dinos go well over $100k again (I've had two "L" series cars), crappy DB6 Astons (which I sell) can be $100k+ and 330GTCs are now inching towards $200k, this looks like a relative bargain.
And to you current owners, yes, I think I set a local record at $135,200. Well, I'll drive it until it breaks, fix it and drive it more, there's no point in staring at it unless I'm driving daily to work. Hope to meet some of you guys in Monterey.
Steve Serio
So much for that idea!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
sam231

Post by sam231 »

Let's see, he bought the car in Monterey August 20th , drove it around town, he shipped it east, it broke down, he fixed it, he commuted to work in it for a couple of days, and now it's time to realize a $34K profit. Rough calculations show he has had the car 22 days, so that means he is shooting for a $1,600/day return on investment. Not bad.

Steve, I just drove my car from Providence to Newport for the weekend and back, it didn't breakdown, and do use it occasionally for commuting. Can I get an extra, say, $25K?

Just kidding.....but if he gets a hit he certainly will raise the bar again. I think I might mosey up there and take a peek at this record-setter.
330GT

Post by 330GT »

According to the AMNE website:
We have under taken the final chasing of all the tiny items that would make this good car into a great car. GP Enteprises of Redwood City, Ca. is currently finalizing this work.
the car is still in CA. I didn't see it anywhere in Monterey last month.

The auction was actually in July, so the return is more like $500/day, still not shabby on a 135K investment. But, and a big but, will it sell anywhere near the asking price? There are two Americas for sale in Europe priced under 150K and they are still on the market.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

Steve,

I'm just curious, if you're going to flip the car, why write a glowing piece about how you intend to keep it?

Art S.
1965 330 2+2 series 2 7919
sam231

Post by sam231 »

The auction was actually in July, so the return is more like $500/day, still not shabby on a 135K investment. But, and a big but, will it sell anywhere near the asking price? There are two Americas for sale in Europe priced under 150K and they are still on the market.[/quote]

Dates were never my forte, thanks Kerry. You also saved me a trip north. Interesting, that means about 20% of the America market is for sale.
tyang

Post by tyang »

I'm just curious, if you're going to flip the car, why write a glowing piece about how you intend to keep it?
Sounds like good salesmanship to me!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
andy

Post by andy »

We have under taken the final chasing of all the tiny items that would make this good car into a great car.
If you can get someone to pay $34k for you to chase down "all of the tiny items" for them then either 1) you're a great salesman, 2) you found a desperate buyer, 3) you found a buyer who did no research, or 4) all of the above.
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

Oncea used car salesman, always a used car salesman. After all the smoke and mirrors, Steve sucks.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
fiminod

I should have checked back here earlier.

Post by fiminod »

Instead of all the negative b.s. and the car guy "flip idea"....here's the story. I wished someone would have actually asked me but then again you'd have nothing to chat about if you did. \
This delightful 330 is NOW finally a driveable car. Today, almost November. The car is in now in Massachusetts and has spent a great deal of time in two shops in California being sorted out. Not to mention my own shop just put in another 45 hours tweeking various cosmetic items.
Although "restored" by the last owner, the car was virtually unsafe and undrivable and was never finished. The fuel system leaked everywhere, the brakes would lock up, countless electrical items didn't work, o/d wasn't functioning, so on and so forth. Here's a good one, the door checks were missing. Does that paint the picture of the seller's ability to be honest and true yet?
The good news is that this was a rust free 42k mile car, the bad news was that I bought the story of the nice old guy who wanted a good home for his perfect car that only had a few paint blemishes, what horse pucky that was and shame on me for not going out and checking the car out myself. It was a small act of God that this car wasn't burnt to the ground or completely balled up and wrecked when sometihng failed on it during test drives from potential buyers.
So where does that leave my "investment?".... $135,200 for the car initially, about $18000 with one shop and another $2000 in one more. Now add in the time in my own business, shipping from California, etc etc....."IF" I sell the car for $160k, I'm losing about $5k.....anyone care to chime in now? And I'm selling it because the whole experience has left a crappy taste in my mouth...the nice old guy fundamentally told me to screw myself when I politely informed him that his car was advertised quite a bit incorrectly and I presented a two page list of items he neglected to foreclose that needed fixing. Again, I'm a big boy, it was my fault for not going to inspect the car myself, I would have passed.
Here's the good news, the car NOW drives as it should. I have driven a few Lussos recently and I'd say this car is as much fun to drive, corners as well, brakes better and has a glorious sound. The headliner now fits, the back seat is actually screwed down, the lights work, the wipers work, the radio has been tossed (never even fit properly), the bent wheel has been rectified, so on and so on......this is grand tourer of the highest order and a very nice 12 cylinder Ferrari. Every time I get in it I think of the awful ride I had down PCH to Monterey and when the car left me for dead on the Carmel Valley Road (fuel gauge NFG). After I got fuel, I then realized why a tank of fuel was going through the car so quickly, it was spraying out of two spots near the float boil. That was have made a nice story as I started a fire in that dry brush in Carmel, lovely....
So that's the deal, the memory of that aggravation combined with the indifference of the past owner gives me great pause to keep the car.
It is now fully sorted and a negative transaction....anyone care to chime in? Life is too short, I'd rather a drive a fun car than constantly sort out someone else's issues. And I missed the fall season, again, my own fault.
Steve Serio
fiminod

PS: Thanks Rudy

Post by fiminod »

Hey Rudy, I don't know you from a hole in the wall but thanks for the kind words. Again, the internet gives people the chance to be big mouths, pick up the phone next time or instead stay here and "chat".... I hope we have the chance to exchange pleasantries some time in person. Cars don't define who I am....get a life.
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Steve,

I don't know. After all that work to make a nice car, why sell it now? There were only 50 330 Americas made. When are you going to come across another one that will only need to be sorted again. Dozens of owners contact me about their Vintage Ferraris a year telling about their problems, but they still own them, enjoy them, and maintain them.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

Steve,

Let me know when you get to California and I'll be happy to meet you in person. 818-224-4551

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

Steve,

Thank you for explaining.

If the car made me think of a very bad incident each time I drove it, I'd sell it too. Once you decided to keep it, fixing before unloading it makes sense. I'm just surprised that you didn't undo the deal considering how misrepresendted you claim the car to be. I'm pretty sure there are laws in CA to protect you.

Tom Y.,

I'd love to hear the 'nice old man's' side of the story.

Regards,

Art S.
1965 330 2+2 series 2 7919