...and the WORST color for your Ferrari?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

David Booth

...and the WORST color for your Ferrari?

Post by David Booth »

All:

The thread below about the best color for a vintage Ferrari has gotten a lot of mileage. But I'm wondering if anyone has a candidate for the worst color, particularly color combination they've seen one of our cars presented in (extra points for pictures).

I apologize in advance if any of the colors I'm about to slag are what your particular car is painted. Nothing personal.

In terms of cars I've seen in person, several years ago at Ferrari On Rodeo, I saw an SII cab in sort of a dark leaf green with tomato-colored interior I thought was kind of ghastly.

I've only ever seen the 330s in that sort of Hershey-bar brown color or the equally repugnant gold in pictures, but they both made me turn the page quickly. No idea what the guys in Grugliasco were thinking when they tossed those color chips out on the conference table. Can't say I'm really a fan of dark blue cars with light blue interiors either.

Anyone else?
1960 SII PF cabriolet #2105GT
1963 250GTE #4799GT with 330 America engine #5033GT

"...Luigi follow only the Ferraris.."
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

OK, I will bite: ANY color with out road chips, M
owen

Post by owen »

This thread can't possibly turn out well, but what the heck...

I haven't seen an example, so it may look great in person, but from a purely name standpoint I think "prugna" (prune) has a place on the list.

And at the risk of excommunication - I saw a red 430 at Starbucks today and it was ok, I used to think all Ferraris should be red and I used to paint my college-era Fiats red, but that color doesn't appeal to me anymore on the vintage road cars. Maybe I'm just getting old.
Owen
'65 330 GT 2+2 #5767
'58 Fiat 1200 TV
Sleeper

Post by Sleeper »

Personally when it comes to vintage cars I am a die hard fan of repulsive colors. I think it is very cool how Ferrari can get away with these gastly colors. My all time favorite is the Daytona style seats in a very sick color like White with Chocolate Brown or Dark Green inserts.
My friend has a 330 that is brown with light tan leather. A sick color combination but the car only has a couple of thousand miles on it.
owen

Post by owen »

Maybe that's how Enzo got back at the folks who just wanted to cruise around town in his cars!

Makes you wonder why 430s and 599s aren't all in hideous colors, given the length of the waiting lists. Current management must not have the same sense of humor!
Owen
'65 330 GT 2+2 #5767
'58 Fiat 1200 TV
Stephanm

Post by Stephanm »

Seems like too infrequently people shoot there cars red when the real men paint there car Brown in a shade of the Lusso that has been shown around lately. How about a 246 Dino that is Dino Orange? Everyone is spraying on red or yellow. I saw a late 60's color that was a very light green with red interior, to me that is cool and appropriate.
I gotta say that the copper colors are the worst
peterp

Post by peterp »

owen wrote:This thread can't possibly turn out well, but what the heck...

I haven't seen an example, so it may look great in person, but from a purely name standpoint I think "prugna" (prune) has a place on the list.
Prugna is a love or hate color, but I like it and, in fact, spent a long time trying to find it:

owen wrote:And at the risk of excommunication - I saw a red 430 at Starbucks today and it was ok, I used to think all Ferraris should be red and I used to paint my college-era Fiats red, but that color doesn't appeal to me anymore on the vintage road cars. Maybe I'm just getting old.
My 330 is red -- won't post a picture because, well, you've seen them before. I flat out would not purchase a newer car in red, but for the 330 I was more concerned about finding a good car than color. That being said, I do like red on that car even though it's not my first or even second or third preference. If I ever repaint it, it will be metallic blue. I saw the "perfect" blue on a 456 at a show once -- not sure of the exact color name, but that probably would be it unless I decided to go with a period correct color.

Regards,
Peter
Peter P
1966 330 2+2 series 2 #8169
owen

Post by owen »

I managed to insult both of your cars with just one post. Will have to throw an even more obscure color out and see what happens.

Looking forward to hearing about how your AC installation turns out. Think that's something I'll eventually want to do too, but for now I'd like to just get my car back from the bodyshop and drive it for a while.

Bought my 330 from Steve at RPM and they were great to deal with. I'm sure they are doing a great job.
Owen
'65 330 GT 2+2 #5767
'58 Fiat 1200 TV
peterp

Post by peterp »

owen wrote:I managed to insult both of your cars with just one post.
Owen -- I'm not even slightly insulted. Yale did the same in the other thread with comments on Mondials and 2-headlight 330's. Also not even slightly insulted. The Mondial has been the most rewarding car I've ever owned -- which really goes to Yale's point that they are all great cars even if they come in shapes/colors that not everyone appreciates. I couldn't agree more regarding RPM -- Steve has been great throughout the process. Sounds like we both are looking forward to doing some driving.

Regards,
Peter
Peter P
1966 330 2+2 series 2 #8169
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

No offence intended, but red is my last choice for Ferraris - makes a great car seem less interesting.

When I bought my car through RPM - seems to be a trend - there was a chocolate brown lusso that was for sale there. I was in love with that car instantly. It really was cool. Unfortunately, I didn't have the $75k needed to buy it ad the next owner repainted it sky blue. Beautiful restoration, but to me, it lost something. If I ever get around to digitizing the photos, I'll post them. If I recall, I have one with Steve at the wheel of the Chocolate Lusso.

Regards,

Art S.
1965 330 2+2 series 2 7919
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

My car was originally nocciola, a sort of dark metallic root-beer brown. In another recent thread, someone here pointed out an SII 330 in the same color for sale...I have to admit that it looks a lot better as a complete-car color than on the underlying bits and pieces of my car. Still, it's not a color that I would choose for the complete-repaint route...it's too conspicuously dated and I'm not partial to brown anyway.
Current: 1983 308 GTS
R.I.P: 330 2+2 s/n 5409