33GTC Suspension

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

John Vardanian

33GTC Suspension

Post by John Vardanian »

Last Saturday a group of us old Ferrari folks (old Ferraris, that is, not old drivers) set out for a picnic to the wine country. A few of us noticed one of the 330GTC’s in the group being lopsided. At a pit stop we looked around and guess what we spotted. The very problem Tom pointed out in his latest post--- a cracked shock absorber bracket.

A couple of weeks ago Jon-- the owner-- hit a pretty deep rut on the road and this must have done it. The car is in the shop now.

john

PF Coupe
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi John,

It's a good thing the mount didn't completely break while he was driving his car. I bet the owner didn't even know about the recall.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
330GT

Post by 330GT »

I have a bunch of early recall notices, but didn't see anything about this issue.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hi folks,

After reading Tom's diary note about 330 GTC/S's front strut mount failures, I went out and looked at my 330 GTS. I remember this issue being discussed with my mechanic, and his confirming at the time (approx 3 yrs. ago) that my car had the retrofit repair.

Thus, I've taken two photos and beome very brave-I created an account at Photobucket, etc, etc. and I'm working from a G5 apple desktop. So, here goes:

The wire crossing the 2nd pic is the ground wire of my battery maintenance device.

My apologies for any foul-up with this process.

Assuming the photos came through, what do you think of the repair/reinforcement?

Many Thanks,

Jim
'67 330 GTS
s/n 10567
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Jim,

Great job on the posting of the photos! They look great and I'm glad you successfully used the tutorial! This will make this forum even more useful.

Your repair looks fine. Anything that boxes in the support of the shock mount has got to be better than what came in the early cars. If your GTS had the repair, then we should include GTSs with GTCs to check.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

John & Jim - Glad to see you guys using the photo feature. I think it really livens up our discussions and lets better define the subject we are talking about.

One reminder though; try to keep the photos 500 pixels wide or less. Our survey showed that some people had trouble viewing photos bigger than that (like John's shot, which is 600 pixels wide.)
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
PETER GABRIEL

Post by PETER GABRIEL »

Beautiful picture John. Ah yes, California wine country: PROZACVILLE.

Peter Gabriel

250 GTL 4419
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Hello Tom Y,

This 330 you photographed... does it wear an original Ferrari color? What is it called? Can you post a couple of better pictures?

Thank you.

John

PF Coupe
LARRY

Re: 33GTC Suspension

Post by LARRY »

In regards to the shock tower weakness in 330GTC/S and 275 GTBs. I have been searching the website for the recall notices and any diagrams provided by the factory to illustrate their recommended reinforcement procedure. So far, no luck. I am sure that I have seen them here in the past. Any suggestions as to how to find them? I would also be interested to see others' solutions. Thanks.
250GT

Post by 250GT »

LARRY wrote:In regards to the shock tower weakness in 330GTC/S and 275 GTBs. I have been searching the website for the recall notices and any diagrams provided by the factory to illustrate their recommended reinforcement procedure. So far, no luck. I am sure that I have seen them here in the past. Any suggestions as to how to find them? I would also be interested to see others' solutions. Thanks.
Larry,

The pic below was supplied by Ferrari in the 60th for those people who would converting there Houdailles into
Koni shocks.
Ferrari send there F- Dealers upgrade files every Year.
I cannot find the tech. description right now, But nothing about enforcment is only for 250GT's not 330GT..
But must be to find.
C.
Attachments
IMG_2847_2.jpg
IMG_2847_2.jpg (36.17 KiB) Viewed 10849 times
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Larry,

Here's the post I wrote about the recall notice:
http://www.tomyang.net/cars/ferrari663.htm
Here's the letter:

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
giovanni44

Post by giovanni44 »

To Jim and John,
As a GTC owner I am extremely interested your post(s), however when attempting to download the pics I was unable to do so. Must I have a photo bucket account to view those pics?

Regards,

Giovanni
330GT

Post by 330GT »

The first kind of technical changes from Ferrari were the Circolare Tecnica (technical circulars). These were superseded by Service Bulletins. Some of the circulars were re-issued as a service bulletin, but not all. I looked through the circulars I have and didn't see anything on the GTC/GTS shock towers, nor is it listed in the service bulletins.

For the various service bulletins see:
http://ferrari.cdyn.com/service_bulletins/

Other interesting Ferrari manuals, etc. are up one level (http://ferrari.cdyn.com/)

Regards, Kerry
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
kare

Post by kare »

giovanni44 wrote:As a GTC owner I am extremely interested your post(s), however when attempting to download the pics I was unable to do so. Must I have a photo bucket account to view those pics?
This forum does not maintain pictures internally. People just upload pictures in a location of their choise and the forum points to that address. As a result, if the original item gets deleted, the picture is gone forever. Best wishes, Kare
250 GT 2+2 3197/GT
tyang

Post by tyang »

kare wrote:
giovanni44 wrote:As a GTC owner I am extremely interested your post(s), however when attempting to download the pics I was unable to do so. Must I have a photo bucket account to view those pics?
This forum does not maintain pictures internally. People just upload pictures in a location of their choise and the forum points to that address. As a result, if the original item gets deleted, the picture is gone forever. Best wishes, Kare
The new software allows uploads of pictures to be hosted on this server, but in these posts had pictures from the older software that required a third party host. Sorry. Maybe if the people who originally posted could kindly upload their pictures again, we would have them. Thanks.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053