Help Needed

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Benjamin

Help Needed

Post by Benjamin »

I decided to keep my right-hand-drive 330 after all and have begun the cosmetic restoration. I think the car ought to look as good as it drives, so it's off to the paint shop. Here are some pictures as it's being stripped out.

http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/ ... type=local

Does anyone know of any place to get the rubber gaskets for the windows? I checked out re-originals, but their prices seem high. Any other sources?

Also, I know the original paint is metallic blue and I would like to stay faithful to the original. Does anyone know the paint code or the correct information to give the paint shop? They say they can match the paint, but I would like to stay as true to original as possible.

As always, thanks in advance for your advice! Regards, Benjamin
1964 330 GT 2+2 (s/n 5839)
1969 Intermeccanica Italia
Dr. Ian Levy

Help Needed

Post by Dr. Ian Levy »

Hello
Keith Bluemel's book"Original Ferrari V!2" has a comprehensive list of the paint colours & codes of the cars of that time.You will need to be clearer on the existing colour as there are quite a few metallic blue colours listed.
I was always prepared to pay the price for rubber & trim items as they are so hard to get-most places seem to charge what appears to be high prices but supply & demand dictates these numbers.
Do you know where the car was originally registered as the RHD cars are definitely in the minority?
Regards
Ian L
UK
1972 365 GTC4 s/n 15989
http://www.ferrari365gtc4.co.uk/
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

Pandora's box is now open.

I believe Jon Brent has all of the color codes, including modern equivilents.

I noticed that the interior had been redyed. Will you be returning it to its original color?

Good luck Benjamin,

Art S.
1965 330 2+2 series 2 7919
davidoloan

Post by davidoloan »

Came across these pictures on Project33.com of a car with a nice patina, which has been clear coated right over the patina. Makes for a nice effect.

That Blue will look great when repainted. Usually like dark Mets on the 330 but your blue really seems to suit the shape.

David,

1992 BMW M5 3.8
1994 Maserati Ghibli
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Benjamin,

Re-Originals is not the only choice, and certainly not the cheapest. If you have the orignal weatherstripping, you can go to weather stripping manufacturers to see if they have something comparable.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
abrent

rubbers

Post by abrent »

There's a place in El-Segundo that supplies weather stripping, mainly to
samples. can't think of their name right at the moment - Super Dave?
whturner

Post by whturner »

Check the following - they have a large selection of such things - and if you find a match, it will be reasonably priced.

Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc.
www.restorationspecialties.com

Cheers
Warren
330 GT Series II sn 10069
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

I've had good luck with Re-originals for rubber parts...replaced my trunk, hood, and passenger/driver door weatherstrips with their stuff. they fit right the first time and weren't particularly overpriced.

BTW, nice to see your restoration in progress. I think any good body shop with a Ferrari customer base would be able to take Bluemel's list and come up with the original factory colors
Current: 1983 308 GTS
R.I.P: 330 2+2 s/n 5409
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

Thanks for your prompt and thoughtful replies. I should have been a bit more specific. I need the gaskets for the front and rear windshields, which total almost $1k at re-originals. The paint shop says they cannot be saved.

Tom - if you or anyone else in the community knows of a source for these, I would sure appreciate the referral.

Art - I was surprised to hear from the paint shop that the car has been resprayed, although the color match is quite good. You observe that the interior has been re-dyed. I'm curious to know how you came to that conclusion? The interior is cream originally, but I just assumed that the color has aged. By the way, you are quite to the point about Pandora's box - so many of the little trim fastners are rusted solid!

Ian - here's what I know about the U.K. owners from the service records I have back to 1966 and from the 330 Registry:

1.) 1964 - 1972 (?) W.T. Clegg, Green Close, Piley Hill, Boldre, Lymington, Hants;

2.) 1972-1976 (?) P.S. Bailey, Esq., Grendingstone Cottage, Beaulieu, Hants (Avenue Car Sales?). There are also a few receipts with "Multitrack, Ltd., Southampton" which I assume may have been a reseller?

Any information is much appreciated.
1964 330 GT 2+2 (s/n 5839)
1969 Intermeccanica Italia
David Booth

Post by David Booth »

Warren beat me to it with the Restoration Supply reference. I do know that Zac has a somewhat dubious opinion of the general run of ready-made moldings out there and was checking with a manufacturer to see if they would be willing to make up a set of dies and run better-fitting moldings per our needs. How's that quest coming, Zac?

I'm glad I waited with my reply 'til now, since Benjamin offered some of the known history on his car. As luck would have it, I visited the idyllic village of Beaulieu, Hampshire in the UK a number of times in the early-to-mid 1970s, and believe I recall seeing his car there at that time. Small world indeed.
1960 SII PF cabriolet #2105GT
1963 250GTE #4799GT with 330 America engine #5033GT

"...Luigi follow only the Ferraris.."
abrent

Post by abrent »

dave, do you remember the rubber guy's in El Segundo. I don't think they have windscreen anyway, but would have most everything else.
been there, just can't remember the name.....
Dr. Ian Levy

Help Needed

Post by Dr. Ian Levy »

Benjamin
Try KARR Rubber Manufacturing 133 Lomita St. El Segundo, CA 90245
They will make it to order but I don' know the cost
http://karrrubber.com/
Regards
Ian L
UK
1972 365 GTC4 s/n 15989
http://www.ferrari365gtc4.co.uk/
enio45

Post by enio45 »

here in italy there is a guy that makes these for everyone...let me check with him what the windshield and rear window prices will be...give me 4-5 days
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

Benjamin,

The areas of leather that were hidden behind trim and other pieces are tan rather than cream; those sections are similar to the color of my interior. The color would not change so dramatically and evenly. Also, the leather would be in much worse shape. I feel strongly that your interior was redyed.

Mind you, if left original, it's just part of the car's character but now that you will have shiny new paint, you will have to address the leather. Also, the brightwork that looked good against the old paint will show its age against the new paint. This is what I meant by Pandora's Box being open.

I sincerely wish you a lot of luck in your labor of love! I'm sure it will be beautiful when you are done. Just don't give up and sell it to Tom S.

Regards,

Art S.
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

Benjamin,

I took another look at the interior. I may be wrong about the entire interion but the leather covering the rear wheel arches and the passenger door trim apear to show tan in the areas which were hidden. Those areas match my interior color.

Regards,

Art S.