Glass Removal

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

John Vardanian

Glass Removal

Post by John Vardanian »

Would appreciate learning from those who have experience... the dos and don'ts while removing the front and back windows. I am seriously woried about damage to the glass.

Thank you in advance.

john
PF Coupe
enio45

Post by enio45 »

John, i did nothing special in removing my front windshield, with the chrome removed and a push from the inside, the gasket begings to open up and the glass will gradually come out. There may be a more scientific way - but im not aware of it. I did also cut the gasket on the outside (when you dont want the gasket anymore) - this helps in the release of the glass.

On the rear - at least on my 330 , it has the heating element in it, and on top of the glass, driver side, the wires extend thru the gasket to a wire in the headliner . . .thus be careful not to pull the wire out of the glass - -after you do this, its not repairable and no longer a defogger :(

Hope this helps
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS
330GT

Post by 330GT »

After you have the glass out, don't do what I did. As I swung it up from the car, I forgot about the garage door opener, hit the bar and chipped the edge of the glass.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks Kerry. The metal bezel... what does it take to remove it. Does it get pried out? Does it snap out?

What does the cross section of the bezel look like?

Thanks.

john
PF Coupe
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Cutting the rubber first and pushing from the inside worked very easily for my car. I was careful to store the glass on edge after removal. I had heard stories of warping, don't know if they are true or not. Putting the glass in was tough. Wrapping the rubber around the glass first and then trying to force the chrome surround in the groove is hard to do. The rubber wants to roll off the glass. A lot of tape and care is needed. Setting it in place with the string to pull the inner lip of the rubber around the flange went very smoothly.
1967 330 GTC #9313
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks David. Do you cut off the inner or the outer lip of the rubber?

john
PF Coupe
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

We laid the razor knife on the glass and cut the seal away on the outside of the car. Then the glass just popped away easily. I needed both the seals replaced and the chrome surrounds refinished so I wasn't too worried about damage. The surrounds are very fragile pieces and they also need to be treated with care when they are off the car.
1967 330 GTC #9313
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks.

Is the new replacement seal decent looking and well fitting? I am asking because, if the new stuff is junk, mabe it's worht the extra hassle of saving the old seals; which brings up the question: is it possible to safely remove the glass without cutting the seals?

john
PF Coupe
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

John,

Although I have never done it; I have heard that the best thing to cut the seal is piano wire.

Regards,

Art S.
1965 330 2+2 series 2 7919
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

There was no question to not cut my rubber seals. They were not in the best shape. The new ones fit pretty well. I don't know how easy it would be to remove the glass and try to preserve the rubber. Your car may be a little different than the GTC. I was very nervous about breaking the glass, but as it turned out there was no problem.
1967 330 GTC #9313
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Good. I had to buy a whole pound of piano wire just to use a couple of feet of it for heater cable.

john
PF Coupe
330GT

Post by 330GT »

John Vardanian wrote:Thanks Kerry. The metal bezel... what does it take to remove it. Does it get pried out? Does it snap out?

What does the cross section of the bezel look like?

Thanks.

john
Hi John, I took some pictures, but they are literally stuck in the camera as I can't find the USB cable after my return from TomY's party. I'll email them to you when I get a new cable.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks Kerry. I knew I could count on you.

john
PF Coupe
oldfart3

Windshield removal

Post by oldfart3 »

I presume the glass mounting method is the same for all the 250's. It was actually pretty easy to carefully pry out the chrome spline from the rubber gasket with an old dull screwdriver. Once it's out, the glass can be similarly pried out with a plastic putty knife or popsicle stick.

John Tarr
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

I am glad to announce that the windshield came out with no damage to the seal or the bezel.

john
PF Coupe