Dancing Ammeter

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

330GT

Post by 330GT »

Michael Greenspan wrote:Thanks Jimmy. I will clean everything and send the unit out to be rebuilt. Is there a highly recommended Ususal Suspect? Again, thanks very much.

Michael
I know that GT Car Parts in Phoenix (623-780-2200) offers rebuilt ones on exchange. I presume that Rutland's and others do also.

A note, these really aren't a rebuilt unit. It's a modern regulator (w/o the dancing problem) put into the red Marelli case so it looks original.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

The Marelli units that Ted and GT have are origional units rebuilt and modified to provide a reliable product. They do not have a chopped up unit inside. As for the Boxer, any crossed wires can destroy not only the alternator(s), but the injection controller as well. Always be sure the block has a good ground strap to the frame and the battery has one to the block. Jim
Stephanm

Post by Stephanm »

I would guess that a dead battery can cause both 60amp Boxer alternators to overload the VR. Essentially, when a alt/gen can charge to max capacity, they go to "full field"
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

A dead battery does not overload the voltage regularor as they are designed to handle full field current(s). The condition that destroys regulators quickly is jump starting the car or jump starting another with yours. The voltage spikes are the ememy of all semiconductors and jump starts create huge over voltages during cable disconnecting. Jim
Michael Greenspan

Post by Michael Greenspan »

Hi. I spoke to the folks at GT Parts and they were helpful. Yes they do exchange the voltage regulators. BUT... What kind of regulator do you have and as long as you are at it, it would be really good to know what alternator you have as well.. A reasonable question. Today I found out the following. The regulator is in fact a Marelli - a red Marelli (not the other possibilities of a black Marelli or an after market whatever). That's good because they will do a rebuild exchange. The alternator had no visible markings except on the back enter of the case and it seemed to show: GCA101 and 48/12/2200.

A couple of questions: 1) is knowing that I have a red Marelli enough or are there different kinds of red Marellis? 2) are the alternator markings telling me anything GT Parts is going to want to know? and, most importantly 3) the regulator is tucked up behind the left side of the glove box and if you remove the carpeting you might have a shot at getting it out with a 90 degree screwdriver. Are the screws machine screws and therefore the nuts are hidden behind the electrical panel on the other side or are they sheet metal screws. The glove box seems to be riveted and not so easy to remove by itself - am I missing something?

Thanks

Michael
1963 330 America #4969
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

All of the red plastic Marelli boxes are basically the same, they made some cost reductions and tried to fix the flaws in suffixs A, B and C etc., but they never got it fixed.
1, 2:That is all GT Parts needs to know - Red Marelli Regulator.
3: The screws are machine screws and the treminals are threaded so no nuts too fall off, but there are lockwashers.
The glove box is indeed riveted so get it out anyway you can manage. BTW the wire colors match the color dots on the case so you do not have to mark them when you remove them. Jim
Michael Greenspan

Post by Michael Greenspan »

Jimmy: On question 1& 2) thanks. On question 3) THANKS again. And overall, my wife who read your response over my shoulder is in awe and she doesn't know a thing about cars. I really appreciate your answers. BTW, I also just got a copy of yyour book from Amazon. I am sure that it will be worn and grease stained very quickly.

Michael