headlight trouble on my 330 GTC

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Steve Meltzer

headlight trouble on my 330 GTC

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Thankfully, Ed Montini helped me round up a headlight bezel and I bought some new Cibie H4 lamps from Stern, but when I replaced my Wagner sealed beams with the new lamps, I had no high beam on the left (driver's). Put the old Wagner's sealed beam in and the same thing: no high beam, on the left ONLY. Low beams are fine on both sides and I don't know with certainty, that the high beams were working fine until all of this started. Is this most likely a bad headlight switch, bad wire or bad ground?
Indigenous to these cars? Any ideas on where to start? thanx steve meltzer "never enough time to do it right, always enough time to do it over"
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
kare

Post by kare »

Not sure how things work on a GTC, but on GTE the headlight circuits separate at the fuse box. There is a jumper from right high beam fuse to left headlight fuse and then separate wires to each headlights and ground wires to light pods. If the low beam works all right it can't be the ground connection, it must be between the point where circuits separate and the light. Have you cleaned the fuse and fuse holder?
250 GT 2+2 3197/GT
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Kare, I haven't done a thing; that's the project for today, so I'm gonna start on this after I get my regular chores done and I'll let you know. thanx again. steve
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Steve,

Check your fuses first! If you're getting high beams on the other light, your relay is probably working (the box that clicks on the fuse panel when you flick the high beam lever), so the next thing to check is the plug that goes into the light.

Good luck!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
330GT

Post by 330GT »

tyang wrote:Hi Steve,

Check your fuses first! If you're getting high beams on the other light, your relay is probably working (the box that clicks on the fuse panel when you flick the high beam lever), so the next thing to check is the plug that goes into the light.

Good luck!

Tom
No relays on a 330 GT or GTC. Unfused power goes to the headlight switch. Then to the column switch for the parking/low/high selection. Then to 4 fuses (high/low and right/left). So if the right high beam works (column sw is OK) and the left low beam (ground is OK), the problem is either the one fuse or the wiring from the fuse to the light.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

thank you everyone for your advice. The fuse looked fine and not particularly corroded, but I scuffed both of the high beam "sockets" and I also sprayed some "magic" contact cleaner on them and also on the female plug into which the headlight connects. Viola, they work fine! BTW: where might I easily find some of the small screws that hold the headlight retainging ring to the bucket? thank you all so much....all's well that ends well. steve
steve meltzer,
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Guys,

Thanks Kerry for th clarification.

I have this copper colored stuff from Eastwood that makes electrical contacts better. I try to coat my electrical connnectors with this stuff to keep the corrosion to a minimum. There's a lot a current passing through the headlight plug, not to mention it's an area that sees a lot of water, so it's a perfect environment for bad electrical connections. I'm glad it was an easy fix!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053